Which LR3 to buy?

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I didn't realize there was even a LUX option in 2007, just SE or HSE. I wasn't as concerned with the nav as I have a Garmin with lifetime updates, I do like the 4x4 screen though but the HSE definitely has a nicer sound system. The 3rd row seats were pulled pretty quickly and are in storage in my friend's shop.

morrisdl

Adventurer
HD (ie Locking rear diff) is a very rare bird. The ARB locking diff are readily available from Lucky8 for $2k each. I think the Manual ARBs a better option than OEM "random" on/off shocks to the drive line.

Id take a tablet, Garmin, storage, place or anything over the factory Nav w/4x4 info. Good luck with the search! If you were closer, Id be tempted to sell you mine.

A.J.M

Explorer
I would try and get a HSE, for the better spec and the less chance of it being used off road. Although, i've off roaded mine with the 19s for 5 years so it can be done.

The HSE has the best seats, sound system etc. HSE seats are different to the other specs. The logic 7 sound system is better than the normal HK one. Heated windscreen is a great bonus as is the seats. Wouldn't be without them now.

I would for ANY 3, go over the records, then go over them again. By 100,000 or so. It will likely have already had, or need the following.
Front wheel bearings.
Front lower arms.
Rear upper arms.
Anti roll bar bushes.
Alternator.

The autobox needs it's oil changed every 50-75k, any judder or rev pulse in any gear or when you put your foot down, is the first signs of the torque converter failing.
Get it changed soon if that's the case.

IID tool can make the sat nav unlock on the move. Mine has been able to do so for 3 years. So, to whoever said that. You are wrong.

Like anything, be fussy and don't feel you have to buy a car as that's all that's currently available. Done that before and got burned badly with a car that was a total lemon of a thing.

morrisdl

Adventurer
In North America, all the LR3s have the same seats. with 5 or 7 seats being the only option. At least for the 2005-2007s that I know of. Some had driver seats have adj lumbar support, but that seems inconsistent across SE and HSE and more about when manufactured. There is some differences in the 5 seater 2nd row seat cousin thickness, but I cant remember which is better.

A.J.M

Explorer
Strange as the UK spec has the HSE seats being different in padding and foam shape to the other specs.

To the point they are in demand from breakers for people buying and fitting for the extra comfort over other spec seats.

Would have thought that LR would have made that a standard issue worldwide but then again.
It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't! Haha.

Munky

there is one on ebay right now with front and rear bumpers in colorado for sale- looks really nice.

nickegg

You may have moved on from options here but I just wanted to drop a note on Land Rover Roaring Fork. I bought a used LR4 from them a little over a year ago and I have to say, they didn't try and nickle and dime me and I felt great working with them. It also helps that they get a lot of 'mountain home' (stationed at people's vacation houses) Land Rovers from Aspen that either rarely ever get driven or when they do, they don't see much action that would lead to a damaged vehicle.

etl330

there is one on ebay right now with front and rear bumpers in colorado for sale- looks really nice.

Was it silver with black interior? If so, that one was at LR Roaring Fork. Unfortunately black interior is the one deal breaker for us being that we have a yellow lab and he'll spend a lot of time in this rig.

You may have moved on from options here but I just wanted to drop a note on Land Rover Roaring Fork. I bought a used LR4 from them a little over a year ago and I have to say, they didn't try and nickle and dime me and I felt great working with them. It also helps that they get a lot of 'mountain home' (stationed at people's vacation houses) Land Rovers from Aspen that either rarely ever get driven or when they do, they don't see much action that would lead to a damaged vehicle.

That is awesome to hear. Nick has been awesome there, we just missed the truck that was perfect for us and now we are playing a waiting game for something else suitable to pop up. LR Centerville in Utah has one that looks well maintained, but the price seems high for an 05. $13k 140k miles and first model year.

etl330

oh and to keep everyone updated, the one Brad(ColoDisco) checked out for us was a turd. Salesman made an *** of himself and it had a whiney rear diff as well as a few other issues.

morrisdl

Adventurer
Whiney rear diff would be a nice negotiation point to knock off a thousand and then get the Lucky8 ARB locking read diff!

etl330

Whiney rear diff would be a nice negotiation point to knock off a thousand and then get the Lucky8 ARB locking read diff!

yes, would be nice, but the dealer was a complete jerk. It was already priced high and it also needed a battery and a few other things. I had a deal on one at Land Rover Centerville but backed out. $12.5 for a 2005 with 150k on the clock seemed insane to me, regardless of how flawless they claim to have made it.

morrisdl

Adventurer
agreed stealerships be crazy. Tomorrow (Last Saturday of month) is the day to get a deal! Offer them slightly more than they could get at auction and see what happens.

etl330

agreed stealerships be crazy. Tomorrow (Last Saturday of month) is the day to get a deal! Offer them slightly more than they could get at auction and see what happens.

do you think this is accurate for used car(non-franchised) stores as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz