Onboard Air and Hot Water Build

jeegro

Adventurer
Goals of the project:
  • Inflate tires
  • Light duty air tools (coolant bleeder, grease gun)
  • Possibly air horns
  • Pressurized hot and cold water sourced from tank or external source (garden hose, lake, creek, etc)
  • No use of propane or electricity to heat water
  • use water for showers, cleaning dishes. Not for drinking
  • keep it somewhat simple, but flexible

Water System
Everything is 1/2" ID hose. 1/2" NPT fittings for everything, and GHT input and output.

Diagram
Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 9.49.51 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 10.01.09 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 10.05.18 AM.jpg

Misc parts
1x 1/2" NPT barbed T-fitting
Hose clamps
90 degree elbows
Pump strainer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V2W0GE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pump silencing kit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WN5F96/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Garden hose
1/2" NPT bulkhead fitting
input screen washer
1/2" ID heater hose for heat exchanger connections
1/2" ID braided hose
Water tank sensor and gauge
Front runner roof rack shower arm https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-rack-mount-shower-arm.html

Air System
Viair Dual 400C w/ 2 Gallon tank. Mounted in the cab.
Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 10.17.37 AM.jpg

Fabricating the Panel
- rectangular aluminum square tube will be sandwiched between 2 aluminum plates. Front plate will be larger, with a flange, and a cutout to access the backing plate where the fittings will be mounted.
Cutout will be made where the black strip is in the lower area of the quarter panel. I have a steel rear bumper w/ sliders so it's pretty well protected.
IMG_0981.jpg

Will continue to update this thread with parts. Unfortunately I'm currently locked out of Mcmaster-Carr :yikes:
Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 8.33.24 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 10.15.46 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 10.15.46 AM.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

jeegro

Adventurer
Why pressurized? At the moment I'm just looking for a plastic/poly tank to go on the outside of the frame rail. Trouble is, the area is about 42" long x 7" wide x 6" high and I can't find a tank even close to those dimensions. I thought about using PVC tube but it would be nice to have a level monitor. Any ideas?

jeegro

Adventurer
progress on the air/water panel.

Just need to make a cutout on the front panel (going to be a PITA, as I don't have proper tools. Probably a couple hours with a dremel), then bolt it up

It's recessed 3"

I don't think the water spigot is going to clear, so I'll either add a couple spacers or machine a lip out of the recessed tube

IMG_1019.jpgIMG_1018.jpg

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
FYI, the metric threads on that mixing valve are a pain in the ***.
I found some barbed fittings on ebay direct from china, I think I bought a 5 pack, good thing as 2 of them have broken already, they are to thin.
If you find a better source for "locally available" metric fittings please post.
Also, I recommend removable or portable tanks so they can be washed out and filled easier.
Good luck.

jeegro

Adventurer
Shoot, you're right about the threads. They are G 1/2" aka BSPP (british standard pipe parallel)... which is british straight thread I think. Mcmaster appears to have adapters here: https://www.mcmaster.com/#4936k143/=18k6mry

$9 each.... dang this will be like my 6th order for fittings. Getting a little out of hand. Does this look like the right one? I'm going to be tried on space for those fittings to work behind the panel.

Tempted to return the thermo valve and look for something else, maybe a Honeywell. But I do really like the feel of this one, and the reviews are really good.. so I am leaning towards getting the adapters.

edit: So with the cost of fittings, it comes out to be more expensive than picking up a Honeywell valve.

Honeywell spec sheet: http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/images/pdf/r-a-101c-us-1-thermostatic-mixing-valve.pdf

Then the question is regular NPT or a union sweat. I think NPT (AM100-1) is the way to go. It's much smaller.

For sale here: $55
https://www.afsupply.com/am-1-serie...MIlLS0_NKU1QIVUlYNCh1AvgmQEAkYASABEgKUQPD_BwE

Thoughts?

Last edited:

jeegro

Adventurer
For the tank, I might try starting out with the Front Runner 45L tank: https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-45l-water-tank-with-mounting-system.html

And see how it goes. Rack mounted water is not what I had in mind... but I feel like I need some time to test things out in the field before jumping to a permanently mounted tank.

I could add some quick connect fittings to make things easier to hook up. ~12 gallon is almost double what I could under the frame rail.

jeegro

Adventurer
So I picked up the adapters to convert from BSPP to NPT. 17 bucks a pop. They don't really tighten, and don't have an o-ring/sealing washer that I believe is standard on BSPP in order to make a seal. Plus, the unit is so darn wide now with all the fittings attached that I don't think it will fit into my design. I decided to drop 55 bucks on a Honeywell mixing valve that comes with 1/2" NPT fittings and is only 3" wide. I should have done that to begin with. Never really a good idea to have a bunch of extra fittings if you don't have to.

As for the onboard air, everything is wired up, mounted and working! More pics to follow. I made this relay panel quickly. Uses 10 awg for all power connections. And with the terminal block, I can easily screw in the heavier 6 gauge compressor cables to it.

IMG_1068.jpg

jeegro

Adventurer
For the mounting location of the heat exchanger, I am thinking to use square u-bolts and secure it to the frame rail. My only concern is that the exchanger would be 18-24" below the firewall heater fittings. Is there any issue having the coolant pump down into the exchanger, and back up 2 feet?

I am confused on the orientation of your pics too. Those water traps are they mounted with the trap bowl down, cause that is the only way the will properly work?

jeegro

Adventurer
For the photos that look weird, tilt your head left, now you're looking at it right side up. ExPo randomly rotates some, but not all of my photos for some reason

Progress on the panels today

IMG_1125.jpgIMG_1126.jpgIMG_1123.jpg

Yes the screw placement is a little shoddy, but oh well. Since I made it, I like it. Eyeballing it + having dull drill bits will do that to ya.

The shorter panel has a quick connect garden hose fitting and 1/2" npt bulkhead adapter. And a 1/4" push to connect air fitting (push to connects are really nice). Obviously the air coupler is for airing the RH side of the truck. The garden hose quick connect is for water input. This is where I will either plug in the roof rack water tank, or a remote water pump (fed from stream, lake, or whatever)

jeegro

Adventurer
Water pump mounted and routed to the QD input fitting.

1/4" rubber sheet for vibration isolation
2x 1" king starboard spacers
1/2" starboard sheet for water pump mount

IMG_1163.jpgIMG_1158.jpgIMG_1157.jpg

Next up, heat exchanger mount

MOguy

Explorer
I don't think the tools you mention will need much of an air system but if you air requirements become an issue because of tools I would look into battery operated tools as opposed to build an onboard air system to handle pneumatic tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles