Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Onboard Air and Hot Water Build

Baby steps..

Afsupply.com sent me the union sweat version of the Honeywell mixing valve by mistake. So I had to re-order the NPT version somewhere else. I need to have it in hand in order to mount the water spigot and valve, because there won't be a way to panel mount the valve, so I'm hoping I can use some solid brass pipe and elbows to connect the outlet to the water spigot, therefore "suspending" the valve just right on the panel.

IMG_1172.jpgIMG_1175.jpgIMG_1174.jpg

Here's where I'm thinking to put the heat exchanger - on the frame rail using aluminum plate and square u-bolts. I'm concerned that it's too low? 2ft drop to the exchanger + 2 feet back up to the heater core.
    I have no idea if that's a problem, it just sounds like adding a lot more work on the water pump.

IMG_1168.jpgIMG_1170.jpg

The panel assembled

IMG_1180.jpgIMG_1179.jpg

Project is done. Everything works perfect. Water temp is a solid 110+ degrees. Shower head is a low flow model, with 3 settings: 0.5/1/1.5 gpm.

Garden hose quick connects are great.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=lnvdPkDScAw

IMG_1259.jpgIMG_1260.jpgIMG_1252.jpg

Looks good, one thing I would change is the brass fitting. The spring inside will rust!! Change over to SS and you will be fine. I know form which I speak. I could not for the life of me figure out where the rusty colored water was coming from. I took apart the brass fitting and it was loaded and corroded, the spring was the problem. Check out this Peabody tanks in Corona.http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...-install/page5
    Last edited by Borrego60; 08-13-2017 at 01:34 AM.
    O3 Tundra limited with ATTITUDE,extream outback compressor,Ham radios,Motorola XLT 5000 commerical VHF,UHF, lowband,800mgz radios with 100 watt pa system.Dual battries, ,KC daylighters,rock lights,RCD 6" lift,air chucks front and rear,tow truck jumper cables front and rear.CB radio for trail comm.Paramedic trauma first aid kit,fire supression kit.09 horizon trailer,Warn 9000 winch. Helton heat exchanger,Lowrance chart plotter,David Clark head set for radios. KI6IGN.Baja design 30" light bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Borrego60 View Post
    Looks good, one thing I would change is the brass fitting. The spring inside will rust!! Change over to SS and you will be fine. I know form which I speak. I could not for the life of me figure out where the rusty colored water was coming from. I took apart the brass fitting and it was loaded and corroded, the spring was the problem. Check out this Peabody tanks in Corona.http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...-install/page5
    Thanks for the tip... mcmaster doesn't even sell a stainless version of the universal quick connect coupler. I think I'll have to learn this lesson from experience. Can't stomach a 12th order for fittings at this time

Ebay Carpet cleaning HP quick disconnects. Good luck on your system. I love hot showers in the boonies.
    O3 Tundra limited with ATTITUDE,extream outback compressor,Ham radios,Motorola XLT 5000 commerical VHF,UHF, lowband,800mgz radios with 100 watt pa system.Dual battries, ,KC daylighters,rock lights,RCD 6" lift,air chucks front and rear,tow truck jumper cables front and rear.CB radio for trail comm.Paramedic trauma first aid kit,fire supression kit.09 horizon trailer,Warn 9000 winch. Helton heat exchanger,Lowrance chart plotter,David Clark head set for radios. KI6IGN.Baja design 30" light bar.

the only quirk I'm dealing with so far is the garden hose quick connect socket for the water input side. It's a single flow valve, aka closed, but I discovered that it requires substantial water pressure to actually stay closed. So when I pack up the hoses, the fitting starts to leak some water. I'm thinking my options are

1) put a ball valve behind the panel. Pros: will definitely work. Cons: another thing to do
    2) check valve. They require 1-2 psi to prevent backflow. Do you think this would work?
    3. Epoxy a QD plug fitting shut and keep it inserted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123