Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leitner Designs ACS - Topper killer? Whose got one and what do you think?

Bravo1782: "absurd" is a pretty good adjective for the cost of the ARE HD cap but bear in mind that the cost of HD cross bars (and they are really good ones that came from ARE) would have set me back $500ish so maybe CAN$3500ish for the cap including installation. Still a lot of money but I'm not load limited; I don't see me ever hitting 550lbs dynamic. The internal ally frame is also full of "T" slots, convenient for my tool box plans and other projects.

I would also like to stress that Bernhard Leitner has been good to work with; he responded to questions I had regarding the ACS really quickly. It will be interesting to see how this product develops.
    Last edited by rickc; 07-20-2017 at 10:51 PM.
    Rick
    2016 Chevrolet Colorado Z71

Just curious if anyone considered a typical contractor cap? Granted it's not an open rack for easier boat loading. I was just curious. We spent 9 days in YellowStone the week before the 4th. I noticed the long term road warrior types all leaned in the direction of keeping he gear and long term aspect understated. One our camp neighbors said they did 3-4 months every yr for the last several yrs. he had a very nothing special looking Ford passenger van with windows blacked out. But the interior was completely tricked out and full of gear. Another neighbor had a simple travel trailer 18ft, and a pickup with a contractor cap no windows, the truck was his toy garage he had some really cool stuff. He said he did about 4 months a yr on the road. But he did more base camp longer stays vs the couple in the van who said 2-3 days in one campsite was maxumum stay and fairly rare for them. But they rarely ever actually reserved sites so they were the random open site for a night type.

Quote Originally Posted by calicamper View Post
    Just curious if anyone considered a typical contractor cap? ...
    I considered it but none of the manufacturers that I could find would rate the roof load capacity for the weight of a tent plus two people. Some of the caps that looked like they could handle the load would have cost 2-3x as much as the ACS rack.
    Stock '16 F150 HD
    Leitner rack with a CVT Mt. Rainier tent

I specified my cap with a left solid "window" and front, right and rear tinted glass; I can still see pretty well through my rear window and through the canopy windows when reversing; a big deal for me as my truck is over 6m long. Conventional, all solid window or no window at all contractors caps wouldn't work for my purposes. You will see many of the contractors caps with ladders on top use discreet exo-skeleton frames around and over the caps.

Comparing just the ACS frame with a canopy is not fair; as stated earlier, a loaded ACS is CAN$3500 before taxes and shipping. I doubt that there are many ACS owners that have not included pods and mounting plates; it all adds up really quickly.
    Rick

You can find better deals if you look around. Mine came out to $2150 shipped, or about CAN$2700, which included the rack, two boxes, four mounting plates and two light mounts.

OCD Overland: when I did the math it was for 4 pods; this really cranks-up the numbers. The Leitner site price of your setup for my truck (long-box Colorado) is US$2424 so about CAN$3033 before taxes and shipping. It's the life-in-Canada taxes that make everything so much more expensive for me. I saw a good YouTube vid last night that showed a Leitner system being set up on a big truck:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxgLNFTvxDI&t=16s
    Rick

I've looked into the contractor toppers as well, and they can get pretty pricey too, depending on how you outfit them. THe new ARE DCU MAX toppers offer a .065 skin, so they're a lot tougher than the industry standard .035. Again, depending on how you outfit them and what kind of rack you get, you're back in to the 2500-3500 range for a system that was INTENDED to be used with a roof-top tent.

The more I do the research, the more I talk to you guys, the more I think I'm going to go with the Leitner ACS. Some of the plates and brackets I can probably fabricate myself (assuming I can source some of those T-nuts...I've seen those for other products, so they're not specific to Leitner. The gear pods are really what makes the system SUPER expensive, BUT, if they're as tough as it sounds like they are, it'll be a worthwhile investment. I'll probably wait until the full-length boxes roll out then go ahead and purchase a system. I like the idea of a system that is designed with the specific thing I want to do in mind, built for that purpose. Light-weight and over-engineered by people as obsessive as I am.
    Overland Lab
    Independent Gear Testing
    Williamsburg, IA

I have been running the ACS on my F150 for over a year now... Love it. My only complaint is that all my gear gets caked in dirt when out on the trails but that's not the ACS problem.. that's the open bed issue...

-Raul
    F150 Overland Build Thread
    2012 F150 CC 4wd 5.0L
    Rough County leveling kit, Custom Rear bumper with Dual swing outs, Leiterner Design Active Cargo System, Decked drawer system, Mob Armor tablet mount with accessories, 35" Falken MT's, Volant Intake, AFE exhaust, Edge Evo CTS, Mercenary Offroad Bumnper w/ winch, CVT Mt Rainer tent, CVT Awning

Bravo1792: have you seen the Wilco Offroad solution? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFoPxfI6fs
    Rick

@RickC...I was just looking into the Wilco System...because it attaches to the tie-down points, I don't know that it'll play nice with my decked drawers...and I'm really not willing to give those up. The ACS system is nice because (as Raul can attest to) it'll play nice with Decked Drawers. Also, the ADV rack itself is $1800, and it looks like (from watching that video) I'd have to add those upper and lower bars before I could mount up my RTT.
    Overland Lab
    Independent Gear Testing
    Williamsburg, IA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123