Which Van to Buy for Adirondaks?

Accrete

Explorer
...Would 2 wheel drive be underpowered? I'm thinking something small like the MB 144 or Promaster 136?..

Greetings,
I'll share my wife's and my on-hands knowledge of both the Chevy 1500 AWD van (we have a 2010 that we've converted to a nice camper with full standing room), and we recently purchased a 2017 Ram Promaster (we got the 159" wb High Roof as there are two of us for extended travels).

Here is what i'll share, the Chevy AWD (you can check it out at this build thread if you are curious)... My wife drives it every day as her daily driver and loves it! It is amazing in our wet road conditions on the Oregon Coast. It drives like its on rails.

Our new Promaster? She was sold at first test drive. The FWD is so sure footed, and i swapped out the stock tires for BFG KO2s...even better and considered traction devices in many states like Oregon, so no chains required for us.

Here is my opinion after driving all the rigs currently on the market (Sprinter RWD, 4x4, Transit RWD and Quigley 4x4, Chevy RWD and AWD, and the Promaster FWD)... there are pros and cons to them all and there is no such thing as a perfect van, but if i was a single guy i would love the PM 1500 or 2500 High Roof 136" wb with the 3.6L gas engine. I could live in that 24/7.

Best wishes on the decision and adventures,
Thom

Jo_Duval

Observer
we drive our savana 3500 with high top every other weekend in the adirondacks. very easy to fix or get fixed. you dont need 4wd not even in the winter.. the most offroad you will get in the adirondack is scouting for camping off adirondack loj road. aha... note camping in a vehicle is illegal in the adirondacks... but we never get bothered

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94