Looks like Fuso is throwing in the towel- at least on the FE

haven

Expedition Leader
Fuso is following a trend started by GM and Isuzu
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/144163-GM-to-sell-Isuzu-N-series-trucks-again

Spartan Industries just started assembling Isuzu N-series trucks with GM V8 gasoline engines in Charlotte, Michigan. The cab-over trucks are sold by Isuzu and by GM. The combination of assembly in USA (avoiding importation taxes) and the less-expensive gas engine should result in a lower price tag than the models imported from Japan.

The question left unanswered by the Fuso press release is, what happens to their diesel FE and FG models? I think they will continue to import them from Japan.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Not a good idea. When I got my FG I was a bit disappointed at the 11MPG but I can tow my trailer loaded with motorcycles or flat tow my Jeep. 11 MPG winter or summer. I did want a V8 in it or a Cummins 4BT. I did the math. My father had Suburbans with a 454 motor and when he was towing their trailer at times he only got about 6 MPG. I can live with 11 mpg in a 12,000 LB vehicle. My neighbor brags up on his Powerstroke and when pressed he admitted his truck only gets around 12 MPG with the camper on it. But he can drive faster.

haven

Expedition Leader
The gas vs diesel debate continues. Diesel has fuel economy, engine longevity (miles before rebuild) and resale price advantages. Gas has lower initial purchase price, cheaper fuel (plus no DEF), and lower maintenance costs.

Diesel parts, and diesel mechanics, cost more. And the emissions controls required on a Diesel engine are complicated and less reliable than their gas counterparts.

Diesel has a torque advantage, but this is neutralized by gas engine displacement (e.g., 3.0L four cylinder diesel, compared with a 6.0L V8 gas engine). Diesel engine longevity makes sense in a big rig tractor that travels 100,000 miles a year. It's less important in a Class 3 or Class 4 delivery van that travels 20,000 miles a year. By 200,000 miles, you'll be selling the Class 3 truck, not overhauling its engine.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
It might be a trend following GM and Isuzu, but I'd lay money down that a major part of the reason is due to the cost of the DPF/SCR, the associated maintenance and warranty repairs, and projected requirements that are probably rapidly coming.

I'm sure the FG will get the same treatment.

I still waffle between selling the EC, and swapping in a Cummins/Allison combination. But I'm not as young as I used to be, and I know exactly how much work it is to do conversions.

The fun part will be to see if, in ten years or so, the U.S.A. component of the company minimizes support of the legacy product, as happened with the latest batch of Unimogs and Daimler-Benz.

gait

Explorer
I sometimes ponder the potential for a lightweight solar/electric camper. The weight of the Canter cab/chassis is a bit embarrassing for our use. Every time I look at that very large rear diff housing I shake my head. And 400kg of wheels? - that's more than 8% of my total weight. Used to be more but now I leave a rim at home. To put it in perspective, my bare fibreglass foam box is about 250kg before I add stuff like cooker and batteries and solar panels.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I don't think that Fuso has given up on the diesels... but this may be their way of backing away from the 3.0/Duonic platform. The FG has and continues to be an orphan (at least in the US market) so this may make it even more so.

Short term I don't see this making the situation any better for those of us that have affection for the 4x4 cabover platform in the US, but longer term it opens the door for Daimler to harmonize power plants across brands, which could be a very good thing.

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
G`day All
Quick chime in on this - the FG in current form will be with us in the USA for some time. This is from the horses mouth in Stuttgart.
Unsurprisingly Daimler the parent company is very focused on 100% battery powered trucks with the release of the first Canters mid way through next year in the USA.
Daimler employs roughly 300,000 people in their truck division, and they expect a third of these jobs to be come redundant as internal combustion engines as we know them are phased out. Their subcontractors are no longer investing dollars in plant and equipment for the manufacture of heavy duty truck exhaust systems. I wonder what happened when steam train component manufacturers heard about diesel oil?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
G`day All
Quick chime in on this - the FG in current form will be with us in the USA for some time. This is from the horses mouth in Stuttgart.
Unsurprisingly Daimler the parent company is very focused on 100% battery powered trucks with the release of the first Canters mid way through next year in the USA.
Daimler employs roughly 300,000 people in their truck division, and they expect a third of these jobs to be come redundant as internal combustion engines as we know them are phased out. Their subcontractors are no longer investing dollars in plant and equipment for the manufacture of heavy duty truck exhaust systems. I wonder what happened when steam train component manufacturers heard about diesel oil?

Thanks for the commentary. I can see how the Canter/Fuso which is primarily used for in-town delivery / landscaping in the US would be a prime candidate for battery power, much more so than long-haul over the road.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I got a note from a friend from CA. a few days ago. If you do the math it is about twice as expensive to use an electric vehicle and throw in the recharge time and replacing the battery in about 3 years. I can buy a lot of diesel for the cost of that battery and go a lot farther.

gait

Explorer
its not about the money.

just have to get head round how much it costs (in addition to monetary cost) to haul heavy vehicles around regardless of motive power, then make them light.

Batteries are lighter/smaller/longer lasting than a few years ago.

As a consumer, retired from paid work, my time apparently has zero economic value within the constraints of gdp definitions.

its really just about mind set .....

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Gait, it isn't about the money either , it is about the 2 mountain ranges for me to cross to get to where I go out to play. I can't see a 12.000 pound vehicle driving 500 miles on batteries over those hills

A grocery getter is another matter.

gait

Explorer
Gait, it isn't about the money either , it is about the 2 mountain ranges for me to cross to get to where I go out to play. I can't see a 12.000 pound vehicle driving 500 miles on batteries over those hills

A grocery getter is another matter.

neither can I. My vehicle is lighter than 12,000 lb (I think - its about 4500 kg). The basic cab chassis is way too heavy.

I guess its either gas guzzler with existing weight or battery with reduced weight, and any shade in between.

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Why do you need a 6 liter gasoline V8 in a truck that weighs #7,000 empty? General Motors is still using push rod motors for godsake.

A 2.7 liter Eco Boost, which makes 325 BHP and 375 foot pounds of torque STOCK, is a much better choice (or something similar to it)

With a mild tune and 91 octane fuel, you get 350 HP and 435 foot pounds.

With a mild tune and 93 octane, you get 375 HP and 460 foot pounds of torque.

Coupled to this engine, you get a six speed automatic transmission and a a REAL transfer case with a low range. Further, the entire driveline can be serviced at a Ford dealer (almost) anywhere in the world.

Hopefully, the "no replacement for displacement" lunacy will end soon. There is simply no reason for it with modern engine technology.

Due to the twin turbos feeding this small displacement engine, the torque curve is very similar to a large gas engine or a medium sized diesel. Your fuel economy will almost certainly improve over both of those with the Eco Boost and it is almost 700 POUNDS lighter that Isuzu's 4HK series 5.2L diesel.

Take that off the front axle of your truck, maybe it will ride a little better when they take the money they save and engineer a proper suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94