Anyone mount a RTT on LR4 Genuine roof rack?

Devil

I am going to be buying a RTT and awning soon, most likely it will be an ARB.

My two options are...

First: Add a rtt to the factory Genuine roof rack(if possible). I'm trying to avoid, taking factory rack off, then spending over a G on another rack on top of the tent, etc. I've seen where people have cut the factory rack, but I like having the sides intact. Factory rack limit is 135lbs?....because of how it mounts to roof?

Second: Add the rtt to my Cndn m101 1/4 ton trailer, and modify trailer to accomodate.

Has anyone attached a rtt to a Genuine roof rack like mine? I have a feeling that I will be going the trailer route, but it would be nice to have the option to mount on both, if I didn't want to haul trailer. Most rtt just need a flat surface to mount to, correct? Thule bars look like the cheap, simple way to mount to trailer, from what I see.

IMG_20170311_174319_129.jpg

Last edited:

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I have yet to see a RTT on a standard LR rack and I've been looking at this stuff for years. I don't think you can pull it off without removing (at least partially) the side bars. Those racks actually look pretty sleek and low profile without the top rails around it. If you love your rack that much a trailer with RTT is the way to go.

Devil

Thanks for replies, I probably should have posted in the rtt section but...

Yeah, it looks as if the trailer option may be best. I suppose I could sell the factory rack to help supplement a new one.

I would be happy to trave you my front runner roof rack and it will rock a RTT all day.

I'd consider that if we were closer to each other.

A.J.M

Explorer
I looked into this last year when I had such a rack on my 3.

Spoke to a person who had used a RTT on his and he said "don't bother" the factory rack wasn't strong enough to take the load with the rails up, it would creak and move about when in use.

He now has a FR slimline2 rack for his tent.

After considering the RTT, I bought a camping trailer instead.

spikemd

Explorer
Reviving an old thread, but my OEM rack has the top half removed for a flat rack. I had to cut some flat metal stock and drill a few holes to mount the roof top tent since the standard flat pieces that come with an rtt are too short to span the width of the OEM rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles