Disconnecting the battery question

wandererr

Adventurer
So when I'm ready to disconnect the battery for "storage" - is it enough to disrupt the + or do I need to disconnect both leads?

BulletHead

Adventurer
Some will say disconnect only negative, some will say only positive, and some will say disconnect both. So just disconnect both and call it a day.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Always disconnect the negative (-) terminal before disconnecting the positive (+) terminal. Its a safety issue.

As for vehicle storage, I typically disconnect both battery terminals and then hook the battery up to a Battery Tender trickle charger to keep it fully charged.

wandererr

Adventurer
I probably should have clarified that the battery is a trailer battery and will be a deep cycle AGM. Vendor recommended to not have it on a trickle charger but rather disconnect it and check it every 2 months and charge as needed..... so I am thinking of some sort of a convenient switch to make the switching on and off easy.

pluton

Adventurer
AGM batteries can sit for a year and have very little voltage loss, unlike old-fashioned car batteries.
I always thought the concrete floor thing applied to the old wet cell batteries that always self-deposited an invisible but conductive deposit of sulfuric acid on them, which caused a weak electrical connection to a typically damp concrete floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier