Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My ZR2 Colorado and Canyon Saga

Default My ZR2 Colorado and Canyon Saga

Just posting here to keep track of the evolution of my ZR2 and Canyon. I'm always adding and replacing things on these and figured I'd share them with you guys.

To start it off:

2016 Canyon SLE Ext. Cab 4x4 3.6l. My daily driver.

Mods so far:

ARB Air compressor and custom mount under the coolant reservoir.
    Hidden Bumper with winch mount and D-ring shackle mounts
    Custom rear bumper
    Steel front skid plate
    Switch panel in overhead console

Future plans:

Lift (undecided, maybe custom Long Travel)
    Already have a set of 285/70r17 Duratracs waiting in the shop
    New wheels (undecided)
    Custom Roof Rack

The day I picked it up from the dealer.

Switch panel.

Hidden Bumper with winch mount.

Custom rear bumper.

Steel forward skid plate.

ARB Compressor and mount hidden under the coolant tank.

Now the 2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Crew Cab Duramax. My wifes daily driver.

Mods so far:

Off-road jack mount.
    Spare tire moved into the bed with custom mount.

Future plans:

Winch bumper
    Custom rear bumper
    Frame mounted rock sliders
    ARB Twin compressor
    Bed Rack
    Roof Top Tent

Shortly after picking it up from the dealer.

Adding the vinyl to the side.

Vinyl all done.

Off-road jack mount. Pretty neat, I can mount on either side of the bed and at different angles.

Spare tire mount in bed.

I'll keep posting here to track the changes of each truck. Let me know what you think!
    2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Duramax 4x4
    2016 GMC Canyon Ext cab 4x4

Also, next year we are planning a two week trip in the ZR2 from Detroit, MI area and stopping at; Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Tetons National Park, Bear Lake in UT and deciding between some overlanding in Moab or trekking into Colorado and running a few passes.

Nice trucks. The wheel in the bed is a tough trade off with all the lost space.
    Well, a hooker would get the joke.

Cool trucks! One of the best mods I did on my truck was to build a swing out spare tire carrier. Not only does the spare take up a lot of room in the bed, but it's going to be chore to get at it with a rtt.

Quote Originally Posted by plainjaneFJC View Post
    Nice trucks. The wheel in the bed is a tough trade off with all the lost space.
    Thanks! These spare tires hang down so low on these trucks I had to move it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirebrush View Post
    Cool trucks! One of the best mods I did on my truck was to build a swing out spare tire carrier. Not only does the spare take up a lot of room in the bed, but it's going to be chore to get at it with a rtt.
    Thanks! I've had a bunch of wrangler with swing out tire carriers over the years. On the truck my wife asked for no swing outs, she is 5'2" and didn't want to have the swing out in the way of the tail gate. Since she drives the truck everyday. Happy wife happy life, right? GM offers an in bed tire mount also, but it takes up a bunch of room so I came up with this. Once I get the RTT I'll know more about accessibility, but in my years of off roading (around 12 or so) flat tires have been pretty rare.

Oh I like that pole barn. Looks like a nice setup for working on stuff.
    Well, a hooker would get the joke.

In that case I'd look at building something like the "tire gate" that replaces the tail gate with one that incorporates a baja style spare tire mount. With that tire standing up in the bed you will have to put the RTT up pretty high to clear it, or you will have to lay the tire down in the bed which will use up a third of your bed space.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirebrush View Post
    In that case I'd look at building something like the "tire gate" that replaces the tail gate with one that incorporates a baja style spare tire mount. With that tire standing up in the bed you will have to put the RTT up pretty high to clear it, or you will have to lay the tire down in the bed which will use up a third of your bed space.
    I'll be able to play around with it a little more when I buy the rtt, later this year. The rtt I'm looking at is 58x49x13". If I put the tent behind the tire, it will stick out past the bed roughly 5". So pretty close to flush with the stock rear bumper. If I mount it above the tire, it will stick over the cab roughly 5". About the same height as the factory antenna on the roof. Either way I don't think it will be too bad. I'm going for behind the tire, to keep it accessible.

really cool, keep us updated.

Thinking of getting a ZR2 diesel to replace my Rubicon. Would put spare on rack above either the cab or bed topper when camping. I really like the ARE topper lift but don't know if I'd really need it. It's just so cool. http://cars.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8345...89097f6970d-pi http://www.4are.com/product/topperezlift/.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast