My ZR2 Colorado and Canyon Saga

calicamper

Expedition Leader
This is our second 2.8l colorado, and I used to have the 2.8l CRD Jeep liberty. I've always been a fan of these little diesels. I haven't had these trucks offroad much but so far I have no complaints.

If you search the name on the side of the ZR2 on facebook you will find more information on the tire carrier. I'm hoping for a day trip this weekend where I can check out the lockers. I really like that it enables you to use the rear locker while in 2wd, and if it's in offroad mode it has no speed limiter.

Like i mentioned above, this is our second diesel colorado. We've only done road trips so far, no offroad, but the mileage is really impressive. Once someone comes up with an extended range tank for these, I think they will really over come the toyota for expedition rigs.

Even with the stock 21gal tank and what seems to be worst case mileage loaded to the max with a FWC camper at 20mpg at 75mph they out range the Toyotas easily. That's one big reason I like the idea of switching to the 2.8 from my current Toyota. In typical overland speeds and use returning 24mpg averages that range gap is even bigger. Skip the bulky fwc and go Tacoma Habitat route that mileage gap will probably be even larger.

589FAB

Observer
Even with the stock 21gal tank and what seems to be worst case mileage loaded to the max with a FWC camper at 20mpg at 75mph they out range the Toyotas easily. That's one big reason I like the idea of switching to the 2.8 from my current Toyota. In typical overland speeds and use returning 24mpg averages that range gap is even bigger. Skip the bulky fwc and go Tacoma Habitat route that mileage gap will probably be even larger.

Exactly, now imagine 700+ to a tank of fuel. Thats what I'd like haha

Dalko43

Explorer
One of the wander west regulars long time Toyota guy with a FWC switched to a Diesel Colorado LB. He upgraded the shocks and put a aftermarket leaf pack on the rear and stiffer sway bar. He's on a huge multi month trip from Main to Alaska. He's loving the 2.8 and admits he way over packed but the truck has been great even returning 20-24mpg averages. He said the 20 was against a big head wind while running 75-80mph across the plains. So far he is really impressed with the truck.

20-24mpg is really impressive for a fully loaded down FWC mid-sized pickup!

I load up my 4runner with 200lb's of gear, 1-2 people and a dog, and I'm lucky to get 20 mpg on the highway. At full payload or towing capacity, I'm lucky to break 16 mpg's. I'm really glad GM decided to introduce a diesel option to this market segment, and I hope Ford, Jeep and maybe even Toyota (that's a longshot) follow suit. I think as long as the manufacturers continue to refine and improve the emissions that go along with these modern diesels, we have the potential to see a big transformation take place in the SUV/pickup industry.

mnfeo2

Adventurer
Sorry, I was talking about how you have the tire mounted up against the wall. I have the short bed and would like to keep as much of that useable as I can.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
I went to colorado fans forum.
Lord... that forum so badly designed and built. Tons add that make you chrome crush :D

They should make their forum as good as tacoma's

calicamper

Expedition Leader
20-24mpg is really impressive for a fully loaded down FWC mid-sized pickup!

I load up my 4runner with 200lb's of gear, 1-2 people and a dog, and I'm lucky to get 20 mpg on the highway. At full payload or towing capacity, I'm lucky to break 16 mpg's. I'm really glad GM decided to introduce a diesel option to this market segment, and I hope Ford, Jeep and maybe even Toyota (that's a longshot) follow suit. I think as long as the manufacturers continue to refine and improve the emissions that go along with these modern diesels, we have the potential to see a big transformation take place in the SUV/pickup industry.

Yup the Sequoia just did a 2700mile round trip. Packed full 2 kids 2 adults + sleek roof box and 900lb 4x6 trailer. 75-80mph across NV and ID returned 15mpg on the way back with a big head wind 14mpg. The 6 days of 35-50mph driving around YellowStone and Grand Teton we did 21mpg tank average, still packed full given we kept our kitchen and extra stuff in the truck.

I Figure where the Sequoia does 18-20mpg the 2.8 would do 35mpg and our 15mpg use would be at worst case 23-24mpg in the 2.8.

589FAB

Observer
Working on a dual battery tray. Hoping to have it wrapped up this week.

1GisLavh.jpg

589FAB

Observer
Some more stuff we are working on over here. Stake pocket Hi-lift mount, ARB Twin compressor mount, Dual battery tray and a ZR2 front winch mount (no pictures yet)

LkLHkEP.jpg

Future stuff I'll be getting started on:

-Frame mounted rock sliders
-More skid plates
-bed rack for RTT
-tweaks to the rear bumper
-full width front winch bumper
-slim profile roof rack.

Any other ideas?

589FAB

Observer
Been working on a lot more products and been busy shipping out orders! I originally started making bed bars, for mounting a hi-lift jack, out of 1.75 DOM tubing. I really didn't like the way they were coming out, so I changed the design up a bit and ordered some 2x2 Aluminum Extrusion and designed up some brackets. These will offer limitless mounting arraignments and give us the opportunity to change and adapt with our needs.

HYTmPAHh.jpg

MRaqCtDh.png

Hoping to get these back from the laser cutter on Wednesday.

Next up, just finished this new hidden receiver mount with built in D-ring shackle tabs. The mount fits the regular colorado, canyon and ZR2. It's super low profile and gives you some better pull points than the wimpy factory tow hooks.

Qj3cnquh.jpg

dXDSWMih.jpg

To go along with the hidden receiver I came up with a bed mount that you can store the winch cradle in. It has a built in Hi-lift jack mount also. Hope to get that back from the laser cutter soon. We'll be working on a quick disconnect wiring kit for the front and rear so the winch is universal to the front and rear of the vehicle.

The dual battery tray needed some tweaks. Sent the new drawing off to the laser cutter a couple weeks ago, and they ended up cutting the old file again. Oh well, they'll have the correct one done soon. I ordered a RotoPax mount and I'll be working on a mount for those somewhere in the bed. I'd like to get started on the rock sliders and roof rack soon too.

589FAB

Observer
Very nice work! I really like the idea of using 2x2 Aluminum Extrusion.

Thanks! I'm excited to get the bed bars done this week. The extrusion is going to offer so many different mounting options that are easily adaptable to anything you could need on there.

MSB

I went to colorado fans forum.
Lord... that forum so badly designed and built. Tons add that make you chrome crush :D

They should make their forum as good as tacoma's

I canceled that site less than a month after signing up. On the diesel part of the forum there are a couple of real "experts" that are simply condescending jerks. Rather than create a community around a common thing we all enjoy they make it a ego contest with keyboard cowboys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles