buying a new jeep

One thing everyone seems to be avoiding is the used market. We avoided the used wranglers simply because we don't want someone else's problems or incorrect building techniques. I've been hearing horror stories of person buying used and finding out it's been lifted but the previous owner removed the components and not correctly remounted everything.. Not only bad lifts, but bad reinstalling factory components after the fact.. electrical issues cause they didn't install the winch correctly, you name it.. buy used.. you're bound to get stuck with someone else's lame excuse. One would be very fortunate IF they could actually locate an untouched used wrangler.. This is why we bought new. Just so we know what, where and how it's been used or abused as the case may be. Otherwise we would have been in a 2015 (there abouts) just because the wife liked the Blue color.

autarkus

Make sure you check out the General JK thread on Wrangler Forum for "So you want to buy a JK/U" They have some good tips on there about incentives. One example (if you get lucky) is requesting a catalogue from Jeep (or all of their catalogues). There is a strong chance they will send you a $500 off incentive that you can use on top of any other deal you're getting. In my case, unfortunately they sent it after I bought the Jeep. Sometimes you can still call and get them to apply it.

xbombtek

Observer
I walked in to a dealer I liked and said, "I want a Recon." The response was, "what's that?" After all that was settled, I ordered the options I wanted and waited for it to show up. When it did, we "negotiated" price. They said "**** ton", I countered with "less than that". This went on for a little while then I mentioned garaunteed pricing through my work (or TreadLightly) and that I had a check from my credit union. Walked out with new set of keys, no dealer adds, and a price HH6 could live with. Be firm but fair and exercise all options before committing.
Also, think sport and Mopar D44 option to get essentially the same vehicle minus all the crap that I'm paying for but don't give a **** about. Just saying.

unkamonkey

Explorer
The last few vehicles I bought I walked in with cash in hand. (Or a loaded checkbook). It sort of puts you in a better bargaining position if you are sitting there laying out the bills on the desk. You get to decide when to quit laying them out there. My old neighbor took out a loan once in his life. A radio in around 1938. Everything else was a cash deal and he had 3 houses. Save the $ up first and just pay it then. It was a bit painful to write out a check for $36.000 for my motorhome but it was done in one day and no payments after. What got to me was paying off my house. Reading what the interest was versus what went to principal reduction fired me up. I started sending off checks to reduce the principle amount on the loan. An extra $1.000 a month can help out a lot. I paid off a 30 year loan in less than 19 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior