1985 Saurer 6DM Transport, California, $32,500

Mania Toad

Adventurer
Anyone in the market for way too much truck?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saurer-/332298495570?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368&autorefresh=true

s-l1600.jpg

Grenadiers

Adventurer
I should buy it, keep it as a spare! Our 6DM is going to be done Friday with the 30" extension. Then, it's our turn to add insulation, cassette toilet, wiring, interior wall, etc.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Well, as others have pointed out, it's a big truck! Not that that is a big negative, you just have to be aware of the overall height of the vehicle. Here's a pic of it at our house last week in northern Arizona, same height as our deck railing! The engine is a 12L, with a larger, upgraded fuel injection pump from the 10dm, putting the horsepower from 250 to 320. Engine is turbo-charged, but not inter-cooled, hwy speed is 55-60, and holds speed fairly well up hills. Heavy, almost 11 tons with camper, 5-6 mpg I think. Drive train is immense, one reason we bought it, never been a big fan of Unimog portal axles with a big, heavy camper. The rig appears to be over-designed to me, (axles, drivetrain, etc.) after comparing it to some similar era Stewart & Stevenson rigs I've looked at. The Saurer is a NATO truck, and has a port for a 24v jumper cable to boost another NATO vehicle! I'm going to use it for a 24v stick welder setup. Probably won't see any NATO trucks on the road! I see the prices of late 90s, early 2000s S & S M1078, 79s, etc. going up in price as these larger overland rigs become more popular. The aluminum box on ours if very light, I removed the front wall for the expansion to save some money, and was surprised at how light it is. And it's very sturdy, I've seen similar boxes on Steyer's, and MAN trucks on some of the Euro ads. Not sure where it originated, but ours has an early 80s build tag on it. The PO added a small 12v inverter to the cab's 24v, so we can plug in our stuff while driving. Nice. I'm still figuring out the Euro electrical system as we finish off the new interior.

It's loud, metal cab is insulated, but, it's warm in there with engine between the seats. Grabs people's attention though, should be lots of pics of it floating around the internet~!

Msand

Importer
My Swedish friends built that rig and traveled in it full time for like 3 years, you must've been the buyer that bought it from the dealer they left it at in AL (Swissarmyvehicles)

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Yes, that is us! We bought it from SAV, but they're located in Arkansas. We're very pleased with the rig, we just finished adding new walls to the 'cabina', and a new ceiling; basically, gluing the panels over the old. My wife is looking for that Euro 'Ikea' look~! All can easily be removed if a new owner at some point wants something different. We are now in the midst of replacing the floor, and finishing off the new section, with the relocated electrical panel, new cassette toilet, and a Splendide washer/dryer combo. Possibly adding a 9000btu mini-split air conditioning system, if there's anymore space up there!

Keyne

Adventurer
What is ownership like? For instance, driving, highway speed, noise, reliability and fixability? Looks like a cool truck.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Well, I can only compare it to the Winnebago Vectra diesel pusher we just sold; and it's a lot cruder~! But, I'm an avid Jeeper with a lifted Wrangler, 35" tires, blah, blah, blah, and so, didn't buy it thinking 'RV'. So, with that in mind, I love it. It's a big vehicle, the undercarriage is an engineering miracle in my mind, double rear springs, extra large driveshafts, three of them, massive axles, regular u-joint style front axle shafts. Only drove it from Arkansas to Arizona, on I-40, and lots of gawkers driving slowly by, as we chugged along at 55-60mph. Fairly loud cabin with the windows open. The center console covering the engine gets pretty warm, and you have to drive it with the windows open in warm weather. The five speed 'semi-automatic' transmission takes some time to get used to. Some jerking when shifting in the low gears. There is an overdrive button, called the 'rabbit', that you can engage after each shift, or use it when in fifth, upon entering the highway. So, you could say it's a 10-speed transmission. Air activated lockers first position, is 50-50 between front and rear, usually, 70-30 I believe. And the second position is a center-lock. In first gear, you can get out and out-walk the vehicle in speed. I have sourced a Saurer parts source through my other build post, and Willy at Swiss Army Vehicles, where I bought it, is a Pinzgauer and Haflinger importer, and specializes in parts (big warehouse) from Europe. So, feel pretty confident in finding parts if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles