New purchase/build

Been a member of this site for years, but never really had much to contribute. Well, I recently moved, took a new job with a massive pay hike (and finally the Mrs graduated!), so now we actually have something resembling an income. Needed to replace our family vehicle since my daughter overheated our Durango and blew a head gasket. Could have replaced the engine with a low mileage unit, but then we'd still be in something that was only 2wd and didn't quite fit us since the kids have grown. I'm 6'3, my 15yo is 6'3 and growing, and my youngest is only 12yo and is already 5'9. We need the extra room for our crap and dogs, not just legroom. So this is what I found:
Bus.jpg

Figured that a low-mileage (75k) V10 would have enough poop to pull our other new toy. This one has a king bed, double, and dinette bed. Mods have begun for both, but the stock tires on the Pup will be replaced with some all-terrains. I've got a stereo in it factory, so the original cheapo speakers will be replaced. I've got a bluetooth adapter to get installed along with an aux 12v socket with ipod connector and 2.1 USB port. My cell phone (Moto Z) has a projector add-on that we've put to the test. Works great setup on the counter and flashing up a 50in screen on main window curtain. I've got 2-6v Trojans connected to a 30a charge controller and 2 solar panels (230w total). Combined with plenty of water storage, hot water heater/outside shower, porta-potty, and 2 propane tanks.....I'm good for a couple weeks in the bush. Plus, with the front deck, I can haul my ATV or 2 dirt bikes wherever we go and NOT have to take the ol' K20.
yard.jpg

I call the Excursion our "Bus" and have already begun the quest to lower the darn thing. Yup, you read that right. Its too bloody tall! It has 6-8in lift on it and rolls on 35s. If I'm decoding the VIN correctly, I have 3.73 gears. Factor in the 35s and my final drive is more like 3.30, which ain't good for towing. Just did a complete fluid exchange and brake job with new rotors. My ScanGaugeII is mounted on the shift column displaying engine temp, average MPG, TPS opening, and most importantly.....transmission temps. The factory stereo sounds good and has rear seat controls, but lacks aux inputs. I added a bluetooth adapter instead of replacing the factory stereo. Doing so would kill the rear controls. I've also added a rear camera and have ordered all the parts required to get it closer to the ground. Have a co-worker that is selling her F250 soon and we've decided to trade wheels/tires. Mine are date-coded 2012, but were just installed in February. Only 2k miles on them, but the wheels are 16.5in and difficult to find tires for. She's selling and is happy to get new wheels and tires out of the deal. Looking to go somewhere around 285 or 305 in a 16 or 17in wheel. After that, I think I'll be happy for awhile. Might research a programmer to help with a little power/mpg improvement while towing. Will eventually do a gear swap when wheel or axle bearings need replacing. So that's our setup. We'll be testing everything out at the end of the month with a family reunion/campout and will be gone for about 10days. Wish me luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94