LR3/LR4 3rd world experience, durability

bearskinrug

Anybody have real world experience running an LR3 or LR4 in 3rd world/developing nations? Wondering how they hold up to constant exposure to terrible road conditions, not so much off-roading, over the long term. I'm not aware of any NGOs that routinely run them, but that may be sure to cost/spares availability etc.

A young couple took an LR3 from England, across Europe, Asia, to Tasmania. They had no mechanicals, other than a self induced one, where a wheel wasn't tightened properly, and came loose in Australia.
They had a tent, practically no mechanical skills, no winch, no armour, no big roof rack, and discovered their spare was a space saver when in Kazakhstan.
The book is on Amazon, for a pittance which goes to the mountain rescue organisation in Britain.
It has terrible reviews, but I found it entertaining :)

bearskinrug

Wondering about long term use really. I forgot that most of the rest of the world gets coils.... is there a significant difference in a ROW truck with coils and a converted-to-coils NAS truck in terms of underpinnings/robustness of suspension components etc? I understand the LR3/4 v8s are pretty nice so I wouldn't be too worried about the longevity of those units.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Do you recall the name of the book?

Don't they make a coil conversion kit yet for the LR3? It seems like there would be a big market for it...

bearskinrug

I think there's a report on here about a guy who converted to coils. May be on Nas-row.com. Not sure. I know in my lx470 with hydrolic suspension, some of the suspension components like the torsion bars, rear coils, and maybe some of the control arms, are smaller than the coiled suspension Toyota analogue because the hydrolic shocks cary a lot of the load. Wondering if it's the same situation in the lr3/4.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I think there's a report on here about a guy who converted to coils. May be on Nas-row.com. Not sure. I know in my lx470 with hydrolic suspension, some of the suspension components like the torsion bars, rear coils, and maybe some of the control arms, are smaller than the coiled suspension Toyota analogue because the hydrolic shocks cary a lot of the load. Wondering if it's the same situation in the lr3/4.

There are several well documented instances of EAS users going to coils. It is mostly a straight swap to roughly equivalent components mechanically. Pop the struts out and fit the coils. Only trick is fooling the suspension computers out of throwing error codes. No real issue other than lost articulation.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I've started off roading with a number of the newer trucks. Heck even a L322.

So far the air suspension has been very solid. However pretty much everyone had the IDTool (or gap tool or whatever its called) to assist if needed. That said, its like carrying an OBD2 reader now, its a tool that really helps.

But yeah for light/moderate off roading, no issues. Then amazingness on the drive home.

Ray_G

Explorer
So I'm one of those guys that switched to coils. Ironically b/c my NAS truck (see the sig line->build thread, or if you want the short version hit the NAS-ROW post on just the conversion) went to the bump stops on the edge of the empty quarter when it was 120deg. Not like I was on some expedition mind you, just out playing near some dunes with the wife as the Arabian heat picked up and at that point I was like 'nope, not worth the expense of putting in the AMK upgrade in the UAE and still have the EAS variable in place to screw me later.'

There are no substantive differences between ROW coil trucks and convered NAS coilers other than with the conversion you retain some of the special programs (and still have vestiges of the EAS in various places).

To your original question; could you use these in the developing world where the normal day to day is as harsh as many of us encounter when we go on our occassional adventure? All I can say after being all over the Middle East (which isn't Africa) is that you don't see many of them there-they prefer Land Crusiers. Could you do it? Sure, I'd suggest a TDV6 and coils, and you may still run into problems if you are hitting mile after mile of harsh roads.

The query I'd have to your question is why do you ask? What I have found is many here want the D3/D4 platform to be everything that many times it can't be. If you want developing world longevity, go for simple robust and reliable platforms (think Hilux, of Defender in LR parlance). Overseas most folks driving modern Rovers do so b/c they can afford it, with some exceptions as noted or in places like Australia with a legacy infrastructure.

I love my coiled LR3, but if I want field serviceability I'll drive my D1 (and have a much less pleasant to/from on hardball). If I was going to South America or Africa, I'd buy a Toyota locally. Middle East...Rover was fine, but in truth I'd still go Toyota if I was going deep into the hinterlands.
r-
Ray

If you said buy a Toyota or drive your LR3 from London to Cape Town, I would take the LR3 . I am just really lucky I guess. 2006, bought in 2010, and she is as reliable as a hammer. Sorry to disappoint, no horror stories, 92 000 miles young, used off road, overlander, drift boat tug...

bearskinrug

So I'm one of those guys that switched to coils. Ironically b/c my NAS truck (see the sig line->build thread, or if you want the short version hit the NAS-ROW post on just the conversion) went to the bump stops on the edge of the empty quarter when it was 120deg. Not like I was on some expedition mind you, just out playing near some dunes with the wife as the Arabian heat picked up and at that point I was like 'nope, not worth the expense of putting in the AMK upgrade in the UAE and still have the EAS variable in place to screw me later.'

There are no substantive differences between ROW coil trucks and convered NAS coilers other than with the conversion you retain some of the special programs (and still have vestiges of the EAS in various places).

To your original question; could you use these in the developing world where the normal day to day is as harsh as many of us encounter when we go on our occassional adventure? All I can say after being all over the Middle East (which isn't Africa) is that you don't see many of them there-they prefer Land Crusiers. Could you do it? Sure, I'd suggest a TDV6 and coils, and you may still run into problems if you are hitting mile after mile of harsh roads.

The query I'd have to your question is why do you ask? What I have found is many here want the D3/D4 platform to be everything that many times it can't be. If you want developing world longevity, go for simple robust and reliable platforms (think Hilux, of Defender in LR parlance). Overseas most folks driving modern Rovers do so b/c they can afford it, with some exceptions as noted or in places like Australia with a legacy infrastructure.

I love my coiled LR3, but if I want field serviceability I'll drive my D1 (and have a much less pleasant to/from on hardball). If I was going to South America or Africa, I'd buy a Toyota locally. Middle East...Rover was fine, but in truth I'd still go Toyota if I was going deep into the hinterlands.
r-
Ray

Any problem keeping your truck cool at 120 degrees?
Yea that's what I was thinking. My lx470 is great, rides smooth, built heavy from the factory. I live in south Louisiana which is pretty close to the third world and my daily commute is short but rough and I frequently drive in water over the hubs. It'd be cool to mix up the fleet a little and I've always wanted to get into an lr3/4.
Any issues with Tdv6? Haven't heard much about it one way or the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier