LR3/LR4 3rd world experience, durability

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Any problem keeping your truck cool at 120 degrees?
Yea that's what I was thinking. My lx470 is great, rides smooth, built heavy from the factory. I live in south Louisiana which is pretty close to the third world and my daily commute is short but rough and I frequently drive in water over the hubs. It'd be cool to mix up the fleet a little and I've always wanted to get into an lr3/4.
Any issues with Tdv6? Haven't heard much about it one way or the other.

Might as well forget the diesel variant exists. We aren't allowed them here (US) ;)
Otherwise they have been known to go 500,000km no problem, there's at least one that did 630,000km, needed a new torque converter on the trans though.

The 4.4L petrol is a great motor too.

Ray_G

Explorer
Any problem keeping your truck cool at 120 degrees?
Yea that's what I was thinking. My lx470 is great, rides smooth, built heavy from the factory. I live in south Louisiana which is pretty close to the third world and my daily commute is short but rough and I frequently drive in water over the hubs. It'd be cool to mix up the fleet a little and I've always wanted to get into an lr3/4.
Any issues with Tdv6? Haven't heard much about it one way or the other.

No issues w/keeping it cool if you are talking engine. That she is green w/black interior meant the ac got a workout but still up to task.

As noted, 4.4l v8 is superb, I would just take the diesel in that environment bc of range.

In North America; even LA, I still say a LR is fine. :)
R-
Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearskinrug

No issues w/keeping it cool if you are talking engine. That she is green w/black interior meant the ac got a workout but still up to task.

As noted, 4.4l v8 is superb, I would just take the diesel in that environment bc of range.

In North America; even LA, I still say a LR is fine. :)
R-
Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha thanks man. I know we're not true 3rd world down here-at least not the roads-but we get potholes that swallow shopping carts routinely.
I ask about the diesel because the rangie gets one here now, but it's billed as the TD6, not tdv6. Any difference? Wondering about the reliability of td6. I remember reading about a flaw in one of these motors but can't remember which. A crankshaft failure maybe, if that's a thing on diesels?

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
I would say no since independent suspension generally doesn't hold up as well on rough roads. I worked for Land Rover in Va for seven years, and we didn't see control arm bushing failures until 60k+ miles. In NYC, we would see them at 10k because of the rough roads. I can only imagine how it would be if this was more off road higher speed use. Also keep in mind, there is an arduous service schedule that is different from the standard service schedule.

bearskinrug

I would say no since independent suspension generally doesn't hold up as well on rough roads. I worked for Land Rover in Va for seven years, and we didn't see control arm bushing failures until 60k+ miles. In NYC, we would see them at 10k because of the rough roads. I can only imagine how it would be if this was more off road higher speed use. Also keep in mind, there is an arduous service schedule that is different from the standard service schedule.
Good intel thanks. Is it true that the RR sport control arm a more robust replacement for that f an LR3?

I guess my question begs another, is premature bushing wear on a $50k luxury SUV a 3rd world problem or a first world problem.

Tembo

topless adventures
Just in answer to part of the original question, I work with a collection of about 140 international and national NGO's scattered around the world and can safely say none use Discovery's (LR1-4) that I have come across. Few are still using Defenders either. Toyota has that market mostly sewn up.

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
Good intel thanks. Is it true that the RR sport control arm a more robust replacement for that f an LR3?

I guess my question begs another, is premature bushing wear on a $50k luxury SUV a 3rd world problem or a first world problem.

I think the bushing in the RRS is stiffer, they didn't start failing as quickly as the LR3 ones did, but that is really splitting hairs. IIRC LR4 and RRS share the same bushing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94