2015 Silverado CCSB Build

dkwince

Hi my name is Dustin and this is my 2015 Silverado LTZ Z71 CCSB build. I sold my 2010 FJ Cruiser and picked up this truck in October 2015. After always wanting a pre-runner style truck and seeing how that just wouldn't fit into my life, I changed paths and decided to make my truck into an overland rig. This seemed right for me since my job is seasonal and during the off season I plan to travel and use the vehicle for some landscape photography.

-Modifications-
-Icon Stage 5 suspension
-Falken Wildpeak MT 295/70r17
-Method Double Standard
-sPod 6 switch system
-Vision X light canon 4"
-SDHQ A pillar light mounts
-Bakflip Revolver x2
-Corsa cat back
-Airaid intake
-Blackbear Custom tune

Here is a pic of the old rig.
23887273760_0e58440bea_z.jpg
[/url]FJ Cruiser by Dustin Wince, on Flickr

Here is how the Silverado started out, got a solid deal because the revamped 2016s were coming out. This one had what I call the "old man package".. a ton of chrome. So the first thing was to get rid the chrome trim.

First mods started with a Rough Country leveling kit and 275/65 KO2s on some 20" factory wheels. The ride was rough and with only a couple inches of down travel the leveling kit had to go. I also installed a BakFlip Revolver x2 bed cover. That was great since I had the function of a hard cover, and the low profile as a rolling soft cover (I hate not having a rear window the the cover flipped up).

Untitled by Dustin Wince, on Flickr

Next up was a new set of shoes, the 20's and E load tires were just rough. I got some 295/70r17 Falken Wildpeak MTs and Method Double Standards.

I did a lot of research and thinking about long travel kids I decided it wouldn't be ideal to shell out over $10k for the parts and labor. Also I wouldn't be to happy about buying fiberglass fenders just to possibly destroy them on a trail.

After that decision I went with an Icon Stage 5 set up. Thats the 2.5" Coilovers with CDVC, 2.5" CDVC rear shocks, and Tubular UCA's. I am super pleased with the quality and ride with these, I have them set at 4/10 and its enough to be fun on the street and soak up the bumps.

Also I got some A pillar light mounts from SDHQ and put some VisionX light canons on there. They are wired through an sPod system with 6 switches I have mounted by the sunglass holder in the cab.

Within the next two weeks I'll have a Decked bed drawer system, incredibly excited about that.
Eventually I will find or make a bed rack for a tent, unfortunately FrontRunner doesn't make one for my model year.
Glad to be here on Expedition Portal, and starting my overland build!

D45

Explorer
Very nice truck..............what motor is under the hood?

Looks like there are three options, a 4.3L, a 5.3L and a 6.2L

dkwince

It is a 5.3. I really wanted a 6.2 when I was looking at them, but they are hard to find and the 5.3 gets the job done just fine.

dkwince

Nice truck. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

Usually depends on if I'm working or not, with a commute driving to right outside Washington DC it goes down with our wonderful traffic. I get around 16mpg that way, and when I'm off season and I just cruise around I can get an average of around 19mpg.

dkwince

Finally got the Decked system in yesterday. Install was a little bit of a pain as you have to assemble EVERYTHING. I do feel there are a couple steps that they could have assembled that wouldn't affect packaging. Although I shouldn't complain because the overall fit and finish are fantastic.

Decked by Dustin Wince, on Flickr

Ds4x4

Observer
looking good, just found out about those a-piller lights yesterday too.. if you want a rack system for your bed call Tom over at NutHouse Industries. they can build you a slick setup for sure.

dkwince

looking good, just found out about those a-piller lights yesterday too.. if you want a rack system for your bed call Tom over at NutHouse Industries. they can build you a slick setup for sure.

Thanks for the info! It's funny how so little overland equipment is available for GM trucks sometimes. I do love the lights in that spot too, I really don't have the need for a huge light bar so those are perfect. I may upgrade the lights eventually, but the Light Canons are really solid for the price.

Nice looking truck man :ylsmoke:

Thanks!

Ds4x4

Observer
Thanks for the info! It's funny how so little overland equipment is available for GM trucks sometimes. I do love the lights in that spot too, I really don't have the need for a huge light bar so those are perfect. I may upgrade the lights eventually, but the Light Canons are really solid for the price.

Thanks!
Yes, it sucks so little is avail for anything older than 2013. Waiting on arb for a snorkel and prob gonna get nuthouse to make me some sliders..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dkwince

How bad is the glare from your hood when running the a-pillar lights?

They're the spot pattern so I have them angled so theres not much glare, but it is noticeable. I kind of miss the black vinyl on the FJ hood that kept light glare down.

dkwince

Little update. Over the past month theres been a decent knock in the suspension when you the suspension would cycle down, this eventually got bad enough where I could feel the knock in my feet through the floorboard so I checked it out. Turns out there was about 1/8" clearance between the Icon UCA and spindle. The UCA would contact the spindle on the smallest of bumps, so out of interest of not destroying an aluminum spindle and having my wheel fall off I stopped driving the truck for a couple days and got some Total Chaos UCAs. The Icons along with being the wrong taper size, the uniballs were loose as all hell.

Icon carnage.. Click on the pic to see a video of how lose the uniball was on both sides. You can see where it wore through the powder coat on the arm too.
IconFail by Dustin Wince, on Flickr

Here's the new UCAs.
UCA1 by Dustin Wince, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne