New Titan

MMM

I just purchased a new to me 2011 Titan SV. This is my first Titan and would appreciate any wisdom you all can share. As it sits right now it is completely Stock and my plan is to drive it awhile and make changes as I gain experience but limit the modifications to what is necessary. The tires are getting worn and are definitely street tires size P265/70R18. I wish I could say I am going on some long overland journey but in reality my trips look like this:
First trip drive from Ohio to Asheville NC spend a day exploring some trails (any recommendations appreciated) then pick up my daughter at camp the next day and drive home. Second trip drive from Ohio to Montana spend five days hunting driving off road most likely dealing with mud maybe snow but not much. Then driving to Custer battlefield then devils tower then back to Ohio. I would like to lift the truck front and rear but want to increase performance not just cosmetic. Also would like to put on larger tires 33-35 but without major modifications. I will keep Stock size if I have to. New bumpers are also on the list. What would you do first,second,etc.? How would you go about the front and rear lift? I know these are basic questions but I feel you all have been through this and know what works and what doesn't. Thanks!

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
I've got a 2015 Pro-4X and like it. I've had no issues with stock suspension on mine and I'm still running the factory size tire, although I've changed to a new tire with more aggressive siping to deal with ice.

The upgrades I've made are a PML transmission pan and diff cover, as this is my second Nissan with this transmission and it's the weak link in the drivetrain.

I drive trails here in Colorado regularly and, like I said, have no issues. I also tow a 5500lb trailer, so I'm hyper aware of transmission temps.

MMM

Thanks for responding. Can you please send me a link or other information about where you purchased the skid plates? What tires are you running now?
Thanks!

RonapRhys

Adventurer
If most of what you're going to do involves muddy dirt roads, in terms of off-road, then tires are a must. Those will likely net you the largest performance gains. As for lifts, there are different options out there. I've got an Xterra and I run 33"s with no issues other than a slight melt mod. In terms of lift, I'd recommend checking out Nisstec as they've got all sorts of lift options for Nissans. Worth noting is that a basic lift is only around $200. Spacers for the front, blocks for the rear, but it'll get you a minor lift.

If you're going to hit areas with rocks, deep ruts, and other things to drag the bottom, I'd suggest armor, too. Your truck is full of delicate bits in its nether regions that don't react well to getting smashed with a rock.

After that, bumpers. Then again, I do a bit more wheeling out in Moab and Colorado than most, so I need all of that. But honestly, if it's just muddy dirt roads, tires and maybe the 2" lift should be all you need for capability.

MMM

Would I be better off in the long run to replace front and rear springs and shocks to get the lift vs. spacers and blocks? In addition to lift I would want to improve on and off road handling and performance.

Triplesnake

Adventurer
Good choice. I've had a ton of fun with my Titan. I'd recommend hanging out on Titantalk.com for a lot of good info and common issues with these trucks. Most common are cracked exhaust manifolds which leads to failed cats. The best fix is long tube headers, b-pipes and a tune. Nissan extended the warranty on those to 80k miles because the cats are integrated into the manifolds (stupid design). The rear shackles are also a known weak link. PRG sells stronger upgrades. I'm running a PRG mini lift on mine, which is just spacers and blocks, and then upgraded bilstein shocks. For tires, I'm running stock size BFGs. I do a bit of towing with mine and and frequent mild offroading at the deer lease and also down the beach, and that suspension has worked well. I do get the occasional UCA- coil bucket contact, but it isn't bad so I just live with it.

MMM

I have been driving the Titan a couple days and I really like this truck. Long story but the dealer installed a set of tires on it and it cost me nothing. They are BFG All Terrain K02 size LT265/60R18. I am not sure I would have picked this tire and size but they will definitely buy me time to figure out suspension,lift or not and ultimate tire and size to go with.
Here is my first set of items for the truck.
1. Change all fluids so I have a service record
2. Weather Tech floor mats front and rear
3. Bed cover
4. Magellan Explorist TRX7
5. Cell phone booster
This rounds out my first group of changes I want to make and are what I need for my first trip in a couple weeks (Ohio to Ashevillle NC and back).
Group 2 changes I am contemplating are
6. Heavy duty wiper blades (have not found a great set yet.
7. Air compressor
8. Recovery gear ( excluding winch)
Any thoughts advice are appreciated.
One last question regards skid plates. What is the difference if any between the skid plates on a SV vs. the Pro 4x? Are there more plates? Are they heavier duty? Where can I purchase a set factory or after market and what do I need?
Thanks!
Matt

MMM

I have taken care of the first four items and just waiting on the delivery. The drivers side rear shock is leaking some fluid so I looking at front and rear Bilstein 5100's. Anybody have any experience with them? I am hoping to get a little lift 1"-2" will be fine and better handling and off road performance. I am also looking for a source for offroad skid plates if anyone knows factory for the pro4x would be fine.

MMM

Just returned from my trip to Asheville NC , and I was able to explore some trails in the Pisgah National Forest and saw some beautiful country. We took the easier trails mostly and it was a test run for the Magellan TRX, the truck and easing my wife into this activity. We did not camp but she loved what we did and said she would be up to camping. The TRX mapped the trails well and gave us good directions to way points but I need to get more familiar with it. The Titan did great but after putting some highway and dirt miles on it I need to change to install the Bilstein 5100's front and rear (middle setting 1-2" lift) and change out the tires. I do not want wider tires but definitely taller. What is the largest tire I can put on this truck without modifications other than the Bilsteins? What is the largest tire that will fit in the spare compartment? Thanks for any advice you all can share.

MMM

Returning Magellan TRX unit. Received skid plate,waiting on new shocks and struts to be delivered and new tires this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier