Cargo trailer Base camp.

Curdoger1034!

I'm looking for a expodition base camp trailer. I've never done any type of overlanding short of driving some dirt roads up a few mountains around Reno NV. I live in the mid west an want to take off an go full time. I own rentals and I'm young single no children an want to take advantage of this opportunity. I was looking at Colorado trailers an see they sell an off road trailer that's a cargo trailer. I'm looking at something in the 7x16 range to live full time in an see the stuff off the beaten path. I have a 2009 TRD crew cab long bed Tacoma an habe considered getting a 2006 tundra to pull the trailer an use as the exposition rig. Is there anyone that is in a similar situation that is full timing out of a cargo trailer? I want to be able to load my hounds take off an hunt fish run game all over the country Just not sure if it will be practical with a trailer this large.

vartz04

Adventurer
That's a big trailer. Just from dragging trailers down dirt roads on construction sites I would go smaller. We have a 7x14, 8.5x18 and 5x10 enclosed trailers at work. The only one that doesn't completely suck to tow behind a diesel pickup off-road is the 5x10. Granted these are stock trailers

gaap master

SE Expedition Society
For more info on cargo conversions check out the forum at tnttt.com.

For more info on full timing, check out cheaprvliving.com. They also have a forum and a YouTube channel with a lot of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curdoger1034!

Yes it's a lot of trailer. For being a full time camper doesn't seem that large. I just want to be able to get off the beaten path an camp all by myself. Then I can load the truck down to really check things out.
I will check those sites out Asap Thankyou for the tips.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
First thing I thought of were those same Cargo Craft trailers. Obviously just more 'dirt-road' capable than 'trail-ready', and not exactly cheap for what still amounts to a big empty box with little or no frills. But they are mostly finished inside with insulation and aluminum skin, have 32in Cooper AT3 tires, and 2in receiver tongue for fitting a Lock-N-Roll/MaxCoupler-style hitch. Might be worth looking at closer just for ideas.

I also agree a 7x14 is gonna be big when you leave pavement. A 6x10 is about the biggest size I would consider even on open area two-track roads just because of the potential for the size and load weight to quickly become a liability in a bad traction situation.

For anyone else interested - http://www.coloradotrailersinc.com/trailers-off-road

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Why not find a small toyhauler used. Then have the Taco set up for short over night side trips? As mentioned anything beyond 5x10 off pavement sucks. Given to remote camp / boondock generally involves tight dirt roads rough spots, steep climbs etc. getting a 5x10 turned around with few options for a turn out can be really tough.

I have rentals and income also. But I have family etc. If I were in your shoes? I would probably find a used Quicksilver VRV between 13-16ft. Given It has all the basics already, fantastic fan, rv heater etc. I could stow toys like MT bike, boat/boats etc. The negative would be dragging around and parking a trailer. The more ideal setup? A fwc camper on the truck. No trailer to limit my travel interests. But storage for toys would be tough. Maybe a little 4x8 enclosed trailer for the toys. Which could be left stored in a secure spot at times I wouldn't be using it etc.

Curdoger1034!

I plan to use the Tacoma for the expeditions an running the dogs getting up in the mountains. The Cargo trailer would be my home pretty much. The home I live in now I will go back to renting out. I want to boondock an have the freedom to go where I want when I want. I've looked at you haulers an they have more amenities than I need or want. The cargo trailer can serve as my home vacation home and my living quarters for when I go to work on one 9f my properties.
That's my thought on going with cargo trailer. I live in northern Indiana an there are a lot of RV manufacturing companies around me to look at. I just thought the cargo trailer would be more durable.

bluebear

Observer
The smaller the better. I'd spend money on making a smaller cargo trailer very efficient with ammenities and smart/light storage instead of buying one 5' longer and just throwing in your crap and calling it a day.

Weather is another factor. If you plan on staying where its mostly dry/warm, you're only inside to sleep or when you may not have the best neighbors. If its going to be cold and wet, you may want a little larger so you can have more of a living space.

I like the idea of buying the truck/camper size that fits you best, and then using a small trailer behind that for your toys. I guess it depends on what kind of wheeling you need to do with the truck. pop up campers are pretty light and real nice these days.

Curdoger1034!

my thoughts on going so large is for living space when the weather is rough I want to be able to stay here if I am running hounds in Colorado an the weather sucks it's nice to be able to relax inside an stretch out. I plan on staying in this 365 days a year an being a bit of a Nomad for a couple years. I want to have a place that's warm that I don't need to worry about chasing 60 or 70 degrees all over the country.
Just not sure how far off the road I can get with a 7x16 or even 6 x 12.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Wife and i have been overlanding/nomading for many years. Had a variety of vehicles and trailers for that purpose. 1974 Econoline, 1977 dodge extended van, 18' travel trailer, 32' 5th wheel with F350 4x4 tow vehicle, GMC Safari van, 36' 5th wheel with F550 tow vehicle, 23' hybrid travel trailer, 6x12 cargo, 8x24 cargo, Jeep LJ Rubi with 5x8 cargo and a Tent Cot. Even used a boat for camping and boating purposes, got some strange looks if in a campground.
Now we have a 1st Gen Sequoia 4x4 with the 5x8 cargo. Has solar, storage, slide out bed, fantastic fan, 105 AGM battery, 110 volt AC, elec or gas heat, folding table, even some interior art work. Can and have cooked inside (prefer outside), sponge bath inside, 5 gallon water storage, Luggable Loo. Yes, it is "primitive", but it is all we want to handle in the areas and trails we want to travel. We can hook up to shore power or not, we have an ARB fridge in the Sequoia, the solar will charge the batt in the trailer and Sequoia. We are still having trouble with down sizing the stuff we bring along vs. the stuff we need.
There are a lot of Youtube videos about van and cargo trailer conversions. The better ones for overlanding are smaller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz