3000lb everyday towing? Tacoma

hayde89

I actually applaud Nissan for taking such an innovate and bold step like that with the Titan XD. I do think the vehicle is a bit too big (it definitely doesn't offer full 3/4 ton performance and yet it is every bit as big as one), but that aside, the frame, engine, transmission, and overall platform seem like a decent effort on Nissan's part to make a HD diesel truck for those who don't need a full 3/4 ton or 1 ton capacity.

The rear locker is a nice touch too (I wish more manufacturers would offer it, especially with diesels). I just wish the damn thing was a bit smaller (Tundra size would've been just fine).

Agreed! We have been begging toyota to bring us such a truck for years. I probably would be driving a tundra had the titan not been released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkg

Explorer
Tundra folks have said the same thing. "It's a 3/4 ton in 1/2 ton disguise." That cummins can definitely pull a grip load. No doubt about that. But that doesn't make it a 3/4 ton. I believe the max payload is 1,700lbs? You'll run out of that way before pulling power. Heavier frame, suspension, brakes, etc. aren't up to HD "standards."

Tundra owners who say that are simply fan boys. Sure, brakes are large and rear pinion is large, but that's about it.

The XD is a different beast. I had a chance to crawl under a pre-prod unit at Nissan HQ couple of years ago. Some impressive things they've done there. But I wouldn't trade my F350 for one. I do think, though, that it's more of a 3/4 ton than the old Ford 7-lug F250. :)

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm sure they tow well. But the mere fact that it doesn't handle HD payload, nor does it even come close to best payload in the 1/2 ton class......makes it what it's marketed as--a half ton. Mine pulls well, too. Better than some 3/4 tons in ways. But it's still a 1/2 ton.

The regular cab specs look pretty good.

Towing capacity: 11,330 to 12,640 lbs
Payload: 2,180 to 2,918 lbs
Curb weight: 5,682 to 6,810 lbs

p nut

butter
XD's definitely look more robust. Pretty good payload and towing power. More than I'll ever use! :)

Clutch

<---Pass
At least the frame won't rust in two

Ha ha!

Looks like there are some teething issues with it, kinda like the specs of the RC, be pretty good for a FWC Granby I am thinking. Looks like the mpg isn't the best though, was hoping for a bit more. It is a bit of an odd niche vehicle. Not quite sure what the advantages are.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
There was an asterisks there somewhere. ;)
-
But I couldn't recommend a diesel for towing 3k lbs, even on a daily basis. V8 makes sense. Same MPG as the V6, same maintenance, better range and more room (with a full size).

ha

---

I know it was years ago, all of our construction vehicles were gas, we had no problem yanking our earthmoving machines around. Kinda funny that some people now-a-days think you need a diesel for towing, especially with today's gassers. The rating of trucks sure have changed too, todays 1/2 tons do the work and a little beyond what our 3/4 tons did. IIRC our 70's F250's were only rated to tow 6000 lbs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94