Small, narrow roof cargo box

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I'm looking for a small, narrow roof cargo box for a compact car. I travel with a kayak on the roof so the box needs to be 24" wide or less. Four feet long would be adequate. I have square Thule bars. Any ideas?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I run a 30inch wide 7ft long Thule box. On 54in bars I can run two Mt bikes with it. To haul my canoe and box side by side I use my 66in bars. I could probably cut them down to 60, but I also use them to car top my sailboat occasionally and need the 66 length.
I think if I ran a tipped J style kayak rack next to the 30 in wide box the 54's would be plenty.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That box has been on a 01 Jetta sedan, 01 Legacy GT, 93 Land Cruiser, 2010 outback and 05 Sequoia. The long narrow boxes are awesome. Best money I've ever spent on car accessories

vartz04

Adventurer
I'd be interested in this too. I have 60" Yakima bars and a 31" wide fishing kayak. I have a trailer for the kayak but it be nice to not have to tow the trailer sometimes.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
It really needs to be less than 24". When hauling two 24" kayaks I have to place the exterior bolt of the kayak cradle outside the rack foot---that's how small my car is. I don't want to do that. I haven't found any hardshell boxes that narrow, so I'm thinking some kind of 100% waterproof cargo bag. I don't have a roof basket, just the two square Thule bars.

vartz04

Adventurer
Yakima rocketbox pro 11 is 89"x24". I haven't seen any that are that short but only 24" wide.

A lot of the Yakima models are only 24" wide but the one above is the shortest I saw on their website

OCD Overland

Explorer
Yep - that or the Skybox 12, which is what I have. I can fit it and a 24" wide basket rack side by side on my car. Be sure to plan for a few inches clearance between to be able to open the skybox.

Johnrunberg

Adventurer
Picked up a Yakima Space Booster which is about 23" wide and 80 something inches long this week off CL. Have to sell the racks but in the end should be in in it for no more than $100.

They are out there.

vartz04

Adventurer
Pelican case is a good idea. Pricing would be comparable and just some holes drilled for some brackets to attach to the roof rack and good to go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles