Beefed Up Half-Ton Suspension?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
So who the heck are these campers made for? I did notice that the nice ones are pushing 4,000-5,000 dry. Are DRW the only trucks meant for these, aside from F-450+?

Yes. I had a caribou 11.5 on my 92 F350 crewcab 4x4 srw. The truck would moan and groan on the pavement. I sold it to a guy with a ram 3500 dually. It made that truck groan a little too. Maybe you should tow a trailer instead.

IMG_3473.jpg

ripperj

Explorer
North Star 850 pop ups have a pretty decent toilet and shower and are lots less weight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I once hired a guy to do a block wall for me. Was doing concrete and block work with a half ton chevy. Noticed I worked on stuff. Asked about putting more spring on the back. I pointed out that more spring won't do any good as he still has a half ton axle, a half ton frame, half ton brakes. I happen to have a 3/4 ton truck and pointed out how much beefier the parts are to handle the weight. It would be cheaper to get a different truck.

As for ride quality, my '77 F250 camper special (you get a rear sway bar with the camper package) actually rides pretty good. Not as good as the really new stuff out there, but for the vintage it isn't bad. I know trucks 20+ years newer that don't ride as good. But the real new stuff rides very good.

There is a middle ground that might work for you. Nissan XD, more than a half ton, less then a three quarter ton. Has all the HD frame, brakes, axles, etc., but is designed for a daily driver unloaded as well. Hellwig has the shop truck setup with a camper.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Buy an older/used 3500 or F350 and get a camper and call it a day. Don't mess with your current truck unless you want to make a bigger truck your DD. Life will be much easier if your camper is under the weight limit for your truck. That's my .02 anyways...

quickfarms

Adventurer
If the truck sees a constant load springs can be rebuilt for the load.

I your case you would be best to look at a F350 and have it converted to air ride.

I run a F800 and an FT900. Either one will handle the camper and not even feel it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94