Titan with topper, rack for RTT?

docsimple

Observer
Hey y'all,

I am picking up a bed topper this weekend, found a great price on a leer. Its not setup with a top rack for my RTT though. Anyone know a good work around? I figure there must be some bars or something that can loop up to support it. Just starting my search so hopefully someone here has the info.

Also I am in Portland, Or so if you know a good place to shop for this kind of thing here I like to support locals if I can.

Thanks!

docsimple

Observer
thanks, Im looking at the metal ones that don't mount on the top of topper as I think it would break with RTT and family up top!

docsimple

Observer
I saw that one too. Definitely a strong contender. My LEER has a little lip inside as well. Was not aware that would interfere with this one. I have a seen a few option online from $300 all the way to over 1k. None look "ideal".

MNCarl

The Moose
Ya my leer 100XQ topper drapes over the outside of the bed (it is not flush mounted like the one in the pic) the so I would have to cut it.

justbecause

perpetually lost
before I got my topper I had my RTT on a set of these. https://www.amazon.com/TMS-Adjustab...&qid=1500928483&sr=8-2&keywords=bed+rack+bars

One of the reviews was someone complaining about "scratches" I chose to accept the "open box" amazon had (which was a whopping 50 bucks with prime shipping)

I cut the tips off the top and used it until I bought a shell, one of the best purchases I've ever made. I'm sure it could be modified to fit as an exoskeleton but I've moved back to a ground tent for several reasons and only need a light duty basket rack on top of the topper now.

docsimple

Observer
i think those would have the same problem on the edges with the overlap. This may put a crimp in my plans, but seeing as I got the topper for $400 it won't hurt as much if I need to make some small modifications...

If you dont mind, why did you give up on the RTT?

justbecause

perpetually lost
i think those would have the same problem on the edges with the overlap. This may put a crimp in my plans, but seeing as I got the topper for $400 it won't hurt as much if I need to make some small modifications...

If you dont mind, why did you give up on the RTT?

there were several reasons but most of them revolved around the zipper. The RTT cover is a HUGE PINTA. and when we added a christmas trip to NM into it, with snow, ice etc its just exacerbated the issue. Condensation was a battle and generally less than thrilling living conditions.

We replaced the RTT with an OZ RV3, finding a spot to pitch it is considerably more difficult, but put up and especially take down/put away is so much easier (confirmed in another snow trip in the mountains of NM)

Its all a give or take, if I had a big bag of money to throw at the issue I would try out an alucab gen 3. From the outside looking in they appear to have the issue of difficult pack aways down. The Oz is easier to manage, but requires more acceptable terrain to pitch. I run it in a thule coffin topper, so that eats up most of my roof real estate (not that the RTT was smaller on space, it was just different and the square foot pint seemed easier to work around)

The edge overlap will certainly be an issue, but I dont think it would be insurmountable. My topper has a minimal lip over the bed and I could cut it out to space a piece of flat stock the appropriate size to space it out away.
I have seen some work style racks that are designed to work around camper shells, those might be worth checking into. I know harborfreight carries some but I dont know the load limit and I know what I have seen have a raised bar that would make deploying an RTT sideways impossible, you would have to pitch it to the rear.

docsimple

Observer
thanks, agreed the alucab looks great but 4k? For 4k I want.... more. I have been scouring the internet and wishing more and more that I knew how to weld. I know what I want, would take a decent metalsmith a few hours to fab up. I have seen some mounts with the side towers, just figured that was a job for a hack saw :)

I really like your tent though. Thats really nice. My issue is I live in the Northwet. The ground is soggy 9-10 months of the year, Getting up in the sky is a godsend. For me the biggest PITA of it all - having to take a leak at 3 am and climbing down the ladder! Of course, I have not tried to zip the tent on top of the topper yet. Probably will need to add a small ladder to the kit.

E.J.

Explorer
DSCN8187.JPG
I've been happy enough with my US Rack for carring a RTT over my softopper. You'd have to trim the lip on your topper around the feet. They are really strong racks and easy to modify because they bolt together, I did a bit of "massaging" to get mine to fit closer to the softopper.

docsimple

Observer
you know, I saw those and got all excited till i realized that is $1000 for two racks! Imma poor man trying to put this together on the sort of cheap! Got my Leer topper for $400... which may mean i have to suck it up buttercup and start saving

E.J.

Explorer
I'm pretty sure that $489 is the price for a pair, I paid something like $400 for mine from them two years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles