Wrangler JL news

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...t-fca-diesel-colors-debut-power-top-etc.1229/

A web site called, appropriately enough, JL Wrangler Forums has posted JL details they claim come from a recent Jeep dealer meeting. Among the tidbits:

- JL will appear in dealer showrooms in December 2017
- JL Unlimited wheelbase will be a little longer
- Rubicon model will have 33 inch tires, up from JK's 32 inches
- 2 engine choices will be available: 3.6L V6 with manual or automatic,
and an optional 2.0L turbo four cylinder with automatic
- Diesel engine coming in 2019 model year, probably Winter 2019, pending EPA approval

Follow the link above for additional details

kriegersa

What I find interesting is the ESS (Engine Start-Stop) functionality.

I could be totally wrong, but I would rather lose one mpg in city driving than putting undue stress on my starter, and engine by having it start and stop all the time. Also, I assume this is only for Autos as an ESS system wouldn't function on a MT.

seems silly to me, but maybe I just dont understand the system well enough.

daveh

Adventurer

I could be totally wrong, but I would rather lose one mpg in city driving than putting undue stress on my starter, and engine by having it start and stop all the time. Also, I assume this is only for Autos as an ESS system wouldn't function on a MT.

These are becoming pretty standard. BMW has had this for a few years. Hopefully it will work similar to the BMW system which allows the engine start/stop to be turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haven

Expedition Leader
Sounds like the JL Unlimited will be a little longer than the JK. If the Ursa Minor JK top won't fit, I'm certain they will make a new model that does.

The Wrangler pickup will come along 1-2 years after the JL is announced. It will be interesting to see which companies make a camper shell for the pickup. Action Camper? URsa Minor? Four Wheel Campers? AT Overland?

btburn

Observer
I just want details on the Diesel. It'll probably be that VM unit. I wish that since Cummins is making the new 2.8L for consumer vehicles that they would provide the engine.

jzzr83

Most customers at the dealership I work at do not like the ESS. It does work pretty seamlessly and will only work when many parameters are met (engine temp, battery level....) and can be shut of with a push of a button. But pushing one button every time you get in the vehicle is annoying to some customers.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Woah, as far as I am concerned, that is all excellent news.

Unlimited a little longer, and DIESEL!!!!!

The 2.8 diesel JK has had ESS for a long time, and Dave from AEV was telling me you can get the starter from them, which is rated for massively more starts than the regular JK starter.

in 2017, engines and starters have no problem with this, and will last essentially forever.

-Dan

Umbrarian

Observer
Most customers that the dealership I work at do not like the ESS. It does work pretty seamlessly and will only work when many parameters are met (engine temp, battery level....) and can be shut of with a push of a button. But pushing one button every time you get in the vehicle is annoying to some customers.

I had one as a VW rental and hated it. I actually called Hertz to find out how to turn it off.

On my wife's BMW there is a button above the push to start button. That disables it and it stays that way unless you enable it, or switch the vehicle to economic mode. I like it that way, if I had to disable it all the time it would be irritating.

I just want details on the Diesel. It'll probably be that VM unit. I wish that since Cummins is making the new 2.8L for consumer vehicles that they would provide the engine.

The vm unit is the same one being put in the diesel colorado. If the lingevity is good and parts are plentiful I think it doesnt matter who makes it. Although I am partial to Cat, detroit and Cummin

haven

Expedition Leader
The 2.8L diesel used by Jeep in Europe is an earlier generation of the engine used in the Colorado.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
This morning, in Ann Arbor. MI.
The driver wasn't happy :D

Well, I said, I am waiting for this car. if you don't want pictures taken than don't drive :D

It looks good though. They have kept the lineage and yet it has a noticeably distinctive shapes.

Techno Guy

I have driven manual vehicles fitted with ESS. Normally it turns the engine off when you set the parking brake and restarts when you press the clutch.
After driving with it a few times, it seems natural and doesn't require any extra thinking about. It just works. :)

I would presume the starter is sufficiently rated to cope with the extra cycles. Also the start up is pretty instantaneous when pressing the clutch, not like the starter is cranking away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles