Wrangler JL news

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Good news on the diesel front for FCA, and all those wanting to buy one! :beer:

I had a rental Ford Escape with the ESS / EcoBoost setup last week. Drove it all week in mostly city traffic. Wanted to keep an open mind, because this is the future of new vehicles. So I was a bit biased towards hoping it would be a nice feature.
Previous to this I've had two Toyota Prius vehicles with ESS built in, and was very comfortable with that.

What I liked:
* Quiet at the stop light
* Button that would deactivate it, for the length of time key was turned on

What I didn't like:
* Rough start
* Caused me to "Jack-Rabbit" take off, due to the lag
* There were times when I needed to make a turn right off the dead start. The steering didn't come on line until the engine was up to idle speed.
* There were a few times of sitting at a long light, where it started getting stuffy in the vehicle (hot & high humidity).
* Can not just turn the button off period. Has to be reset each time the vehicle is turned on

My overall thoughts after the week:

ESS worked really well in the Prius, because it started off on battery power, so it was close enough to seamless that it was comfortable to drive.
I did not like the ESS on the Ford Escape, because there is nothing to back up the engine. That is really disappointing. I was hoping to at least be "OK" with it. I was not at all OK with it.

Based on this short term experience, I'd look for a vehicle where it could be turned off completely, unless the vehicle was a hybrid design.
Other than that, I really liked the Ford Escape. Great power, comfortable, room for some pretty big guys to fit, decent fuel mileage (averaged about 24mpg 70% city 30% highway).
However, based on the way they setup the ESS, it wouldn't make my "short list" to buy. Which also means I probably won't buy an F150 like I had been planning on. :(

Hopefully Jeep will make it so the button permanently deactivates ESS, unless the customer wants to turn it on.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
What I didn't like:
* Rough start
* Caused me to "Jack-Rabbit" take off, due to the lag

These are always my problems when driving vehicles with ESS, happy to say my JKU doesn't have it. Nearly all of my driving consists of backroads/county roads at this point, so it wouldn't be a huge deal if it did.

I do think that some sort of long-term solution for deactivating ESS is needed, curious if a programmer (such as AEV's kit) would end up with an option for that. Way above my head to know how this would be done, though.

SheepnJeep

I would like stop start I think. Just drove an F-150 that my dad borrowed and it became pretty natural to me. If you let the pressure off the brake pedal slightly the truck would start. If you anticipate lights a little bit it's pretty easy to have it started and rolling without hesitation. Not sure if all vehicles work that way but I found it pretty slick.

Jurfie

Adventurer
If not a shut-off button, then maybe a "up-down-up-down-left-right-left-right-A-B-A-B-start" type backdoor sequence to permanently turn it off (like the way to turn off the stability control on a JK).

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
It seems like the 3.0 V6 diesel will go into the JL, almost certainly for the export market - europe, aus, south africa etc.

We will just have to wait and see if it will be sold in the North American market.
We know the engine passes emissions, so it's really just if they want to or not.

-Dan

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Any chance ESS would be disabled while in 4low?

Also, any change the diesel will have the option of a manual?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94