2016 Ford Flex Build

AggieFCO

Here I Am, Send Me.
Good morning. I'm searching to see if anyone has walked the path I'm about to embark on. I recently purchased a 2016 Ford Flex. It came from the factory w/ 19" wheels and street tires (obviously). I'd like to put on 17" rims w/ a 28-29" BFG KO2 which will be the same width and height as the 19" combo currently on the vehicle. I do fully understand the limitations of the Flex off-road yet have a desire for a more durable tire for driving to trailheads on mountain roads as well as additional traction/confidence during CO winters. Before getting too crazy on me, I've owned an Outback and highly built 4Runner so I get the challenges that lie ahead of me. Tire placement and humility are key off the pavement...

Also planned are some low profile LEDs, cargo system, and bike rack. Thanks in advance!

Paul

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I personally think the flex is a pretty ************ looking car. Def not a car I would want to mod for the reasons you stated above but I kinda like them. However, the front end, at night, looks very similar to a crown vic cop car...given me a scare a few times.

I want to see a flex with a SAS and 40's. Go.:ylsmoke:

AlexCold

Observer
Awesome! Go for it, buck the naysayers and try it!

Do you think you could fit a slightly taller tire without too many negative effects?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'm subscribed. Some of ExPo's best overlanders through the years have been people with non-traditional vehicles, and I'm much more impressed by you trying this than adding another Wrangler or Tacoma to the inventory.

FWIW, if you've got a factory receiver, consider the option of getting a small winch (I use a 6K ComeUp on my Cayenne) mounted to a plate that'll mount into the hitch. You would generally double the line to get the capacity up higher, but given that you can mount it, carry it, or leave it at home, it gives you some off-road support without much of a downside.

Quite a change from your current truck. Keep us informed and good luck.

Clutch

<---Pass
Cool! Always liked the look of the Flex, has this 60's-70's Reto-Future feel to it.

Edmunds did a comparison between the Flex and the Outback....the Flex would be a hell of a lot more fun to drive with that Ecoboost.

I like it since it isn't another gawd damn Subie... ;)

p nut

butter
Cool! Always liked the look of the Flex, has this 60's-70's Reto-Future feel to it.

Edmunds did a comparison between the Flex and the Outback....the Flex would be a hell of a lot more fun to drive with that Ecoboost.

I like it since it isn't another gawd damn Subie... ;)

Ha ha, my wife loves her Outback. I tried talking her into a Flex but she doesn't like it. I think they look pretty cool. AWD station wagons is what they are to me. I wouldn't mind one as a daily driver myself. Seems like they'd be super useful.

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
Had a 2011 as our family car for a couple years. What makes them look so cool to me is also what I feel will make it bad for you... visibility. The bottoms of the windows are fairly high up compared to the seat height and I found that combined with with the large size of car with small mirrors to be a PITA. You are going to need to be mindful of tire placement and such on bad roads where there are large pot holes or rocks fallen onto the road and it is difficult in that car. I also found the electronic AWD system to be... well, annoying.

That said, giv'er! Your use of the term "off road" will likely get some reaction but based on the rest of your post I'm pretty sure your are just meaning "off pavement" and if so then go nuts! If you really meant "off road", then you've already gone nuts! :sombrero:

hayden

Curious to see how this goes these are basically lwb Taurus wagons or low roof explorer's I'm wondering if you couldn't get a little lift with explorer pucks

Clutch

<---Pass
Ha ha, my wife loves her Outback. I tried talking her into a Flex but she doesn't like it. I think they look pretty cool. AWD station wagons is what they are to me. I wouldn't mind one as a daily driver myself. Seems like they'd be super useful.

I joke with the better half, you should buy a Subie! She gives me dirty look and a firm NO! She hates those things for some reason, I don't mind them...though it seems that is what mostly runs around here, that and jacked up diesel sexual 3/4 tons with flat beds and stacks....makes for two very odd juxtapositions of demographics.

Has 10 extra sq/ft of cargo volume over the OB, and a much more spirited engine. Seems like a great family truckster, though it does suffer in mileage over the Subie, but can be made up in used prices compared the Subie, since they aren't popular.

AggieFCO

Here I Am, Send Me.
Thanks for the support and encouragement. Its gonna be a little while before I pull the trigger on the wheels and tires, but in the mean time here is a picture of Shee'La all loaded up for a road trip from FL to CO.

IMG_1019.jpg

Bojak

Adventurer
Put a set of bfg ats on that thing. Probably won't help much but I would love to see it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
I couldn't believe where I saw someone driving a Flex last weekend! They scraped a few times but with careful route finding they made it way back!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles