Front end "alignment" on Quigley 4x4

I've had my Quig 4x4 for a couple monnths now... it ha a slight pull to one side, not bad, but I'd like to get it aligned.

Looking at the front end configuration I'm not seeing a lot that can be adjusted.

is the toe and centering of the steering wheel about the only thing they can adjust on a solid axle Quigely 4x4?.. or are there eccentric's in the joints somewhere for camber and caster?

CJS

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Toe and steering wheel centering is a simple matter of drag link and tie rod adjustment.
Any alignment shop can handle that. No worries.

Camber and caster, assuming it is a ball joint type axle, is dependent upon the type of ball joints used.
Generally, the only time adjustable ball joints are used are when they are needed, as in, if the axle or inner C is bent for some reason.

That said, for camber adjustment, I much prefer spindle shims.
Once dialed in with spindle shims, you no longer need "special" ball joints, so replacement down the road is considerably easier.
With adjustable ball joints, every time you replace them you technically need another alignment.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
A few things to check other than toe:

1. Obvious, but tire pressure or dragging brakes.

2. Check the front axle to see if it is centered side to side on the vehicle. If the track bar isn't adjustable, or adjusted incorrectly, it could push one side out further than the other and cause the van to crab walk a bit, which could cause the slight pull.

3. Check that the rear axle is centered equally in each wheel well when compared side to side. A slight misalignment on the spring pads could cause the axle to be crooked compared to the front.

Solid front axle rigs tend to pull away from the crown in the roadway because they usually are not setup for cross camber adjustment like IFS.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Good point about the track bar.

Being a non-oem install, if very well could have an adjustable track bar.

they usually are not setup for cross camber adjustment like IFS.

That is correct.

And for good reason. As I mentioned above with regards to "special" ball joints, there is zero reason for such adjustment unless it is needed.

All the more reason to either do the work yourself, or find a GOOD alignment shop to perform the work for you.

When setting up solid axles, Ill send them in for an alignment CHECK and specify that I want a copy of the alignment sheet.

With the sheet, I have enough info to perform whatever changes I need to (if needed) in order to get things dialed in 100%

Most older D60s (king pin) have a pretty good amount of positive camber. I've built a few of these over the years, and each one has received camber shims in order to correct the camber.

Once the camber is addressed, I send it back in to get aligned.

After that, good to go. Proper camber is KEY when it comes to tire life with these big heavy vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz