New to forum

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Yes works well for the snow and mud. I bought it used with unknown mileage and then put two winters on it... took it apart to rebuild it and it looked like new inside. Pretty much the only wayto go on a bike that sees snow.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Because it was that way wheni bought it used. But it helps, and i would have added one if i didnt have one
But it does allow for more forgiveness when tensioning the chain. I can slam the axel forward so there is no way for the axel to slip. With igh there is alot of torque put on the frame and axel, and on other bikes i have had problems withthe axels slipping if they are not pushed all the way forward to maximize the amount of area the nut has to grip, and it physically cant slip because it has no where to go. The gear ratio i run onthis right at the maxium lowest gear the hub it rated for i believe so the tensioner just makes it easy. Plus the weird ration made for a half link situation which are a pain in the ***..
i wanna say i am running a 32-22 or maybe 32-24. Its a weird one ifyou look at the charts. Super low

p nut

butter
You don't need a half-link when you have track ends. Just get yourself a good skewer (i.e. Shimano), and you're good. Never had any slip on my Surly's. But if that's working for you, then great.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Yeah its an internal gear hub...no skewer. They bolt to the frame with anti rotation washers...

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Looking good! I like the skinwall Nates and the tan Orry grips on the Jones h-bar. Very cool.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Cool bike.

I've known a person or two who run tensioners even with sliding drops or concentric BBs. Other than the slipping axle reason there's also that you can get absolute min or max wheelbase or gain some additional room to adjust ratios without breaking the chain.

I've personally had mixed luck with skewers and slipping. Salsa Flip-offs are my go-to to prevent it.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Cool bike.

I've known a person or two who run tensioners even with sliding drops or concentric BBs. Other than the slipping axle reason there's also that you can get absolute min or max wheelbase or gain some additional room to adjust ratios without breaking the chain.

I've personally had mixed luck with skewers and slipping. Salsa Flip-offs are my go-to to prevent it.

skewers+snow mud etc.=slippage.

as a back country pack mule...redundancy adds to dependability so why not?

p nut

butter
In my experience, external cam skewers like Salsa were far inferior to Shimano/Campag. I've had those plastic washers crack on me as well, which Salsa was great to send me replacements. But it just doesn't tighten down enough for track ends. I still use them for traditional dropouts, though, because, well, they do look better than Shimano.

squatch

Adventurer
Welcome. Cool bike! I live in Bozeman and will maybe run into you sometime. Love to see that in person

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Welcome. Cool bike! I live in Bozeman and will maybe run into you sometime. Love to see that in person

Yeah maybe. This one doesn't see a lot of use until hunting season. Usually riding my Instigator.

nice signature btw. i too am a LC/FNH fan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles