Painting a tank to last an Africa Overland

Wheely

Hello, I bought a brand new tank for my 1995 6x4 Land Rover Defender as the old one was leaking.

Since I am in Africa and will be soon doing an overland I want to ensure this one will last for a while as finding spare parts is not that easy.

The plan is:
1) Sand-paper the tank to skim the original paint and allow prime to attach to steel (100GRIT)
2) Prime it
3) Light-Sand paper it (400 GRIT)
4) Gravitex it
5) Paint it

Point 1,3 and 4 are sorted, for point 2 and 4 I have some perplexities as it’s the first time I am exploring the ‘paints’ world and there are many choices (very confusing).

In Ghana there is Sikkens which offers some products. If you don’t think these are the adequate ones I can get it from abroad as I go back to Europe often.

• the primer they have is the ‘wash-primer 1K CF’ which is a one component chrome-free, self-etching primer that offers corrosion resistance without the use of metal preps and conditioners – it can be used for priming steel, galvanized steel and aluminum.

Is this the right primer to use or would you recommend me to use another one? I can see online that there are etch-primers, primers, etc… and I am not sure which one would be best for my intended use ( I guess the primer to be used also depends on the pain that will be applied on top?).

With regards to the paint to apply on top of it, Sikkens has either Base coat or Top coat (not sure the difference across the two – great if you could clarify)
• Autobase plus (basecoat): solvent borne basecoat provides excellent coverage, metallic control and sprayability when used to duplicate OEM solid, metallic and pearl color effects. It says that this has to be used in conjuntion with a clear-coat (also available at Sikkens in either 1k or 2k variant). However in the TDS I see that this this paint cannot be applied over acid containting wash primers so it looks like I can’t use this with the washprimer that Sikkens has (?)
• Autocryl plus (top coat): Two-pack acrylic enamel for cars. To be used with hardener P25/35 and Plus Reducers.
• BASF MasterEmaco® 8100 AP: Single component epoxy based zinc rich primer for steel
• Berger ZINCANODE 600: A two pack epoxy zinc rich primer.

Not sure of the first two as these look more for bodywork than for a use like the tank. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, much appreciated.

Simone

Last edited:

Jeffer949

Observer
I'm no expert on overland but I come from the Datsun Z world. When we paint our tanks or any metal part we don't want to mess with, POR-15 is typically the answer. It is super strong and will adhere to rust. I know its a new tank so that's not an issue but it is super thick and super strong. I think I recall hearing that the only way to get it off bare metal is to remove part of the base material. So in other words, grind on the metal. Just a thought. For good adhesion how well you prep it is key. Just keep that in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior