Solar charge controller

mamacast

Hi all, what a great forum with such helpful information. We have a 150 W folding Overland Solar suitcase panel, the last time out it seemed to have stopped working. The batteries did not hold a charge and the controller showed no signs of life, none of the indicators would light up, could not even choose what type of battery we were using . Assuming this is the problem, what would be a good controller to replace on this panel? It is a PWM controller http://www.solarguru.com.au/p524/EP...oller-(12/24V)/product_info.html#.WXOQTIqQzrJ that is on there now, We are running 4 6v batteries in series for a trailer so do not need cranking power.
Thanks for any direction you can give.

EDIT: should we consider putting a controller in the battery bay in a box like others have done and eliminate the need for the controller on the panels? If so is that a different recommendation? Stick with PWM or go to MPPT style, pros and cons?

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
No downside to a MPPT SCC, imho. I gain 2 to 2.5 amps going into my batteries when I switch under the same conditions.
Just be sure to get one that has programmable absorb and float levels to match your battery bank for max life and usage.
If your battery bank has consistent temps then the temp controller will have min effectiveness but worth it if a wide swing of temps.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
it depends what the voltage of your panel is? if its 21 volts all you need is pwm, if its over 30 volts you can use pwm or mppt.
Mppt will get you a few extra amps from a higher voltage panel, it won't give you any advantage on a low voltage panel.
Mppt takes the excess voltage and convert it to more amps.
For mppt I been using the ecoworthy 20 amp controller (about 120 dollars) on my 240 watt panel for almost 4 years.
For pwm any anself 10 amp or higher controller (less than 20 dollars) will work. I use this as a backup to my mppt controller and works great on my 240 watt panel, it has an lcd screen and you can charge your cellphone off of it. The epsolar is overpriced for what it does.
anself.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior