Airstream Nest

haven

Expedition Leader
17-Airstream_Blog_Nest-Travel-Trailer_img-09.jpg

OCD Overland

Explorer
I'm surprised how long it's taking them to make a product out of what seemed like a fairly well fleshed out prototype. It's the fiberglass equivalent of the new defender. Almost mythical.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
"smaller and lighter" than the Sport or Basecamp aluminum skinned model means 15 ft long and 2000-2200 lb before you add your stuff. Price estimated to start at $30k. That's cheaper than $45k Sport and $35k Basecamp, but far from inexpensive.

OCD Overland

Explorer
But presumably without the pitfalls of a riveted shell. If they'd been a year quicker with this project we would have given it a good look. It seems like it will slot in between a Scamp and the smaller Oliver in both price and features, much like an Escape.

edit - I guess in size and layout it's really more like the 16' Scamp.

Last edited:

kzam

Observer
Is that going to be off-road capable? It looks more like "glamping" than "expedition ready." The kind of camper you would tow behind a Lincoln Navigator, not a J70.

OCD Overland

Explorer
That will depend largely on what they do with the suspension, or how easily it could be upgraded. As with the Oliver, the formed in place wheel wells could limit tire choices. It also depends on how well made the shell is. If it's made like an Oliver, then it will be stout enough, but if it's thin like a Scamp, then probably not.

It's a shame that no one makes a true offload oriented fiberglass trailer.

Last edited:

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Is that going to be off-road capable? It looks more like "glamping" than "expedition ready." The kind of camper you would tow behind a Lincoln Navigator, not a J70.

I would highly doubt it. This is airstream, they aren't targeting people who go offroad. I shopped these even renting a basecamp for a weekend thru rv share. It's nice with the ac, sat/hdtv, fridge and freshly popped popcorn etc as it should be for 39k but it's not worth it to me. Maybe expo get's a kickback from airstream for the mentions? They did run an humorous article on the basecamp noting one of the main selling points was it's backdoor (?) and it's aerodynamics which I guess if you consider the shape of a half loaf of bread aerodynamic the trailer has that. They didn't mention that 2585 weight was with zero gear, water, propane etc (more like around 3500/3800 loaded) and I quote "higher than normal ground clearance" what ever that means. Felt dirty towing it with the jeep. Almost took a detour to pick up an audi Q7 to better fit the profile.

OCD Overland

Explorer
I think that's fine - it's obviously not rugged enough for someone like you. But most people just need something that will stand up to some abuse and get them down gravel and some of the better travelled dirt roads. You don't need a 30° departure angle for that.

It's the abuse that gets the typical airstream - a few mies of washboard can really do a number on rivets and nice cabinetry. A FG shell could solve that problem for them, if they chose to make it a priority. They posted on Facebook that they had cabinet failures in their road tests, so hopefully fixed. At least with the typical airstream suspension you aren't worried about blowing a shock.

The problem is that we really can't judge anything about it since they haven't actually shown us anything new in the past two and a half years. Remember that originally they were set for production which was supposed to start in May of 2015. All we've learned since then is that they made it wider, added a flush toilet, and got rid of the integrated water tanks and frame. To me that all sounds like they redesigned it to fit on the Basecamp chassis, but who knows for sure. Why they added a flush toilet is beyond me.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
They need a intro product that falls into a price bracket that first time buyers might go for. Airstreams biggest issue today is they are pricing them selves out of the market by not having younger buyers interested in their products. Even their small trailers are way to pricy for younger shoppers. As such you loose future customers who then discover other brands they like and never think about Airstream again.

kzam

Observer
But most people just need something that will stand up to some abuse and get them down gravel and some of the better travelled dirt roads. You don't need a 30° departure angle for that.

You make a good point, everyone has different needs and different definitions of "off-road." For some people, it may come down to the level of creature comforts your wife is willing to live without.

In about 30 years (assuming I can afford it), an "off-road" airstream may be exactly the level of comfort I am looking for. Until then, I guess I'm not the target market because I'd rather spend $30,000 on a kick-*** vehicle and get by with a simple $5,000 trailer. I'm just glad my wife isn't afraid of a little dirt.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I've been offroading for 50+ years and have definitely reached the age when an "offroad Airstream" is the level of comfort I'm looking for. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it has the capability of running larger, tougher tires and decent ground clearance. I'm not looking for a trailer to drag over the Rubicon; I want something that I can tow over an unpaved road or easy trail to a campsite/base camp.

Airstream, are you listening? I'm not getting any younger so if you want to sell one to me you had best get the Airstream Nest to market.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
I think that's fine - it's obviously not rugged enough for someone like you. But most people just need something that will stand up to some abuse and get them down gravel and some of the better travelled dirt roads. You don't need a 30° departure angle for that.

It's not so much about ruggedness it's about longevity of the product with the ability to traverse varied terrain. I'm not a regular in the atacama desert but I know fire roads in the SE US that would shake it to pieces. So for 41 grand it's not so much I want a bad *** overlanding trailer with a microwave and a leatherette sofa as it is how much time is it going to spend traveling to and from a certified AS dealer for fixes when they could just beef up some things here and there to justify that price tag.

They need a intro product that falls into a price bracket that first time buyers might go for. Airstreams biggest issue today is they are pricing them selves out of the market by not having younger buyers interested in their products. Even their small trailers are way to pricy for younger shoppers. As such you loose future customers who then discover other brands they like and never think about Airstream again.

Very true. We were shocked when we saw the basecamp in person for the first time. The online pics were very deceiving on the size. The reality check was when they told us it was 41k as that's within 5k of a brand new class c. Can't wheel it but oh that ac when it's 109* outside!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94