From rock crawler to adventure time

Hey all noob here but not to jeeps getting turned onto overland by some friends who do it and the fact that I love the outdoors and camping and jeeps. I have always been into rock crawling but it's a hassle trying to maintain something built to go hard but drive home it's more appealing for light action in the woods and not worry about driving home...
My jeep before I am starting this Adventure Time transformation is a 1999 Jeep Cherokee that is from South Carolina it has the trusty 4.0 which is bone stock, aw4 with an auxiliary trans cooler, np231 with an sye, front axle is a hp Dana 30 with 4.10 gears a Lock-rite locker and Solid diff cover, rear is Chrysler 8.25 with 4.10s Spartan locker and Solid diff cover, mid subframe stiffeners, gas tank skidplate, stubby front winch bumper, TNT long arms, about 5.25" lift and 35" mtr kevlars...

IMG_3262.JPGIMG_3263.JPGIMG_3264.JPGIMG_3265.JPGIMG_3266.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I wanna get away from the heavy rock crawling I need to tone down the jeep a bit make it friendly to the roads and road trips and make it easier to pass MA state inspection lol. So I ordered some Napier flat fender flares and a set of 33x12.5x15 Cooper Discoverer AT3 which I saw a lot of good reviews on and love the way they look IMG_3260.jpgIMG_3098.jpg

Also ordered some smaller front coil springs and shackles to lower the jeep to 4.5" lift and also probably going to remove the front locker and swap out the steering since I have never liked what is on there...Then over this year and next plans include RTT a tire carrier bumper, add more metal the the front, storage/ racks in the cargo area, install my cb that I have and do some other odds and ends I have been needing to do and I'm gonna keep track of it here and look forward to everything I can learn on this fantastic looking site...

Currently on order is a set of Napier Precision flat flares, Dirtbound offroad metal center console bracket and battery hold down, 4.5" coil springs and stock shackles... also going to be ordering some sway bar stuff so I can get a sway bar back in also have started choosing what pieces I want for roof rack, bumper, etc...

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Nice, sounds like a good start on a very capable base. I'll look forward to seeing how it progresses.

afbond03

Adventurer
Looking forward to your progress. I am about to do the same to my JKU. Moving to a 35" BFG AT from a 37" Hankook MT. Miss my 98 Cherokee.

Greenz

Since I wanna get away from the heavy rock crawling I need to tone down the jeep a bit make it friendly to the roads and road trips and make it easier to pass MA state inspection lol. So I ordered some Napier flat fender flares and a set of 33x12.5x15 Cooper Discoverer AT3 which I saw a lot of good reviews on and love the way they look View attachment 410935View attachment 410936

Also ordered some smaller front coil springs and shackles to lower the jeep to 4.5" lift and also probably going to remove the front locker and swap out the steering since I have never liked what is on there...Then over this year and next plans include RTT a tire carrier bumper, add more metal the the front, storage/ racks in the cargo area, install my cb that I have and do some other odds and ends I have been needing to do and I'm gonna keep track of it here and look forward to everything I can learn on this fantastic looking site...

Looking forward to seeing how you mount the flat fenders since you cut your fronts so high. I cut mine too high and question how they mount.

Looking forward to seeing how you mount the flat fenders since you cut your fronts so high. I cut mine too high and question how they mount.

yeah I kinda was thinking about that after I ordered so im on the hunt for some uncut fenders and ill just paint them black to tie in with the quarter guards and etc...

Greenz

yeah I kinda was thinking about that after I ordered so im on the hunt for some uncut fenders and ill just paint them black to tie in with the quarter guards and etc...

...or, I thought about DirtBound Offroad's fender armor and attach the flares to it but I dunno... Replacement fenders might be cheaper especially if you don't need the added protection.

Site won't allow me to post a link. :confused:

jonb8

Adventurer
Good luck on your project, I also do both but with different rigs. I am selling my crawler and going to try building one to do both...I cut mine big front and rear so I can run 35's on 4.5 lift, I couldn't get a flare to work so I used 96 and older xj flares and just screwed them on like this...

DSCF0694_zpsqtkrybbo.jpg

Good luck on your project, I also do both but with different rigs. I am selling my crawler and going to try building one to do both...I cut mine big front and rear so I can run 35's on 4.5 lift, I couldn't get a flare to work so I used 96 and older xj flares and just screwed them on like this...

DSCF0694_zpsqtkrybbo.jpg

pretty rare color you got there and neat idea but junkyard fenders usually aren't to expensive

good weekend I got all the scraped up sheet metal cleaned, sealed, and painted on the drivers side, got some spider gears and fenders from the junkyard, got the front locker removed/replaced toasted axle then installed a new hub bearing and removed front driveshaft with way to much slop in the sip joint... also my napier flares came in the mail they look awesome cant wait to get them mounted

Tried to mount up my napier rear flat flares but since my rear wheel openings are trimmed so much they won't work so I'm going to see if I can exchange for a set of the pocket flares which aren't affected by a heavily trimmed wheel opening, also ordered some new leaf springs

WyoCherokee

Adventurer

I ran the napier flats on my XJ. His trimming looks to be just about perfect for them. let me see if i can dig up my trimming pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke