Introduction and question about a Land Cruiser

mochosla

Hi everyone. My name is Carlos and I'm new to the forum. I enjoy 4x4 vehicles and the outdoors. I want to ask about a 1982 Land Cruiser my neighbor is selling me (more like I bugged her and finally convinced her to sell it to me). She has had the car since new but has been sitting on her driveway for a few years. She sais the car was running but had some mechanical issues her dad was working to fix but he passed away and the car was just abandoned. The seem to be "okay" but it has seen better days. It will probably need all the interior redone, breaks, oil change andsome mechanical work although she says it starts but needs a new battery. It is a standard car, has a rack and that is about as much as I can tell you. It is a project car. My question is, how much would the car be worth? I see some similar cars in very nice shape going from 12 to 24K but as said before, this car is far from being in decent good shape. Any guidance would be very appreciated. Oh, she said it has back DMV fees but she will take care of that for me. Just for you to get an idea, it looks like the one in the attached picture. I will come check it out in more detail tomorrow and will take pics and probably post them here for a better reference.

Attachments

• Land Cruiser.jpg
    Land Cruiser.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 267

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I have seen rusty projects selling for 1500-3K. But if it is rust free and relatively clean, which it looks from that single pic, I would say $4k to $6K, maybe a bit more since you are in California. Mileage isn't that big of a deal, but really low miles (~100K) would bump the price. Mileage above maybe 225-250K will also have a downward impact. They really weren't too many options, condition is the key. If the interior is just dirty but not ripped, that's pretty good. The air pump is a costly repair, but other issues shouldn't be too bad.

That one looks like it has had the suspension redone. It also has FJ62 mirrors, which is a somewhat common swap. Are you sure it is a 1982 (manual trans, round headlights)? Usually when I see them in that color it is an FJ62, but maybe it is the lighting in the pic.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
What are your plans for it? Figure for a roundabout number somewhere in the way of $2000 for baseline repairs, just getting it up to good mechanical shape, replacing all the aged things, oils, hoses, some wiring maybe, the main repair, depending on what it, is could be more.

60's are capable and desirable... and Toyota. For camping, touring and such, there's little better, even though the 60 is a little dated and not much on amenities from the factory. That said, the simple reliability of a 4 speed, simple braking, roll up windows and nontechnical straight six with plenty of room under the hood makes it a fun project.

ekapel

I bought a 1984 FJ60 new and kept it for 28 years. It was the best vehicle I have ever owned, although it was a little slow
on the uphills! It is not for modern freeways as you will be passed by everyone, but on secondary roads it is fine. The only
problem now is that as such an old model, it is VERY difficult (read:expensive) to source replacement parts, especially interior
parts. The mechanicals are simple, it is the small details that will be difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne