2001 Bianchi Grizzly

Cackalak Han

Explorer
While I'm putting together a 29er, I was looking around for a back up hard tail and came across a Bianchi Grizzly. I think it's a 2001/2002. It's got that celeste paint job, which is in real good shape. The components are XTR crankset, rear der., v-brakes, shifters. Marzocchi Bomber forks, Mavic Crossmax wheels. Asking $550. He said he bought the frame in 02 then built it up. Says weighs ~22lbs

I don't know much about Bianchi's, though. From searching on google, seems like people have had warranty issues.

Thanks for any input.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Steel or Scandium? The steel bikes were amazing. The aluminum ones are very stiff, same with the carbon/aluminum.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
It is steel. (actually the ad says "Dedacciai Steel"). Looks just like this (obviously not this clean):

HPIM6790.jpg

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I love Bianchi bikes. My first real road bike was a Bianchi Trofeo I bought in 1984. I've had several over the years including a Super Grizzley. Hard to ignore the legacy of Bianchi bikes since the company goes back to 1885. Countless wins on and off road on Bianchis. You can't mention Bianchi without mention of Fausto Coppi, Marco Pantani, etc. They're mountain bikes have won several world championships. Actually, Bianchi has been in the mountain bike business since the get go. They caught that trend early.

Enough about Bianchi-lust....

That is actually a great bike. Deda steel is good stuff. Bianchi did hit a bad patch with their steel bikes, but mostly on the road side in the 2002-2004 range. Their tubing was a tad too thin and cracked frequently exposing the "structural foam" on the inside. Think of the spray insulation foam you use to seal a drafty window. That was "structural foam." It actually worked pretty well to reinforce steel frames.

For $550 I'd maybe buy it. It would depend on the condition of the drive train and fork.

Now for useless bike trivia: The green color was chosen by Queen Celeste in 1885 for her Bianchi.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks for the input, Flounder. I just checked it out. The frame itself is in really good shape. A few little nicks, but nothing major. Drive train is worn. Nothing that should be changed any time soon, though. Wheels spin nice, as does the crank. I really like the way it rides. I might have to rebuild the fork, though. But I've heard Marzocchi's are easy to rebuild.

Anyway, thanks for the inputs.

Twenty-niner

I'm with Flounder: as long as everything is in good/great shape, it's a great deal.

I managed a Bianchi shop for several years and the Grizzly frame was a really nice one. We sponsored a local fella who raced on one and loved it. I've only owned one Bianchi road bike... Bianchi definitely knew how to do steel.

The frame you can feel totally comfy with buying. The Zokes fork... I had a few between '97 and '99 and they were killer back then. They were really easy to rebuild and replace the seals, but the downside is I had to do it every 9 months or so.

If you can pick that bike up for $500- and assuming that you won't have to skip lunches to do it, the way I would- I say go for it. Quite a score, in fact.

Greg

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Do me a favor. Before you buy it, see if there is a dent on the right side of the top tube filled flush with epoxy. If so, it is likely stolen.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Twenty-niner said:
I'm with Flounder: as long as everything is in good/great shape, it's a great deal.

I managed a Bianchi shop for several years and the Grizzly frame was a really nice one. We sponsored a local fella who raced on one and loved it. I've only owned one Bianchi road bike... Bianchi definitely knew how to do steel.

The frame you can feel totally comfy with buying. The Zokes fork... I had a few between '97 and '99 and they were killer back then. They were really easy to rebuild and replace the seals, but the downside is I had to do it every 9 months or so.

If you can pick that bike up for $500- and assuming that you won't have to skip lunches to do it, the way I would- I say go for it. Quite a score, in fact.

Greg

Thanks for the input. I am going by today to negotiate the price a bit. I've never bought a used mtn bike before, so I am checking this one out thoroughly. One question, though. While I do love the XTR brakes on there, I'd like to set it up with disc brakes eventually (of course, will also need different wheelset). There are disc brake mounts in the back, but is it good for any disc brakes? I am not that familiar with the different disc set ups, and someone told me that older frames only accept a certain type of disc brakes.

bigreen - I will check that out. He seemed like a very honest guy, though. But I guess one can never be sure... Thanks for pointing that out.

Twenty-niner

Even if the disc mounts on that frame aren't IS, you will be able to buy an adaptor to fit any disc caliper to that frame.

Hayes leads the disc brake industry, for instance, and they sell something like 12-15 different adaptors to fit their brake calipers to the various wonky mounting standards that have been introduced over the past 15 years.

I wouldn't worry about fitting disc brakes to that frame, but you might want to consider whether it's worth it. Depends on how you'll use that bike and your preferences, but the XTR v-brakes are as nice as linear pull brakes get. I'd keep them on there, personally.

And that's coming from a disc-brake fan.

Do check that bike's top tube for the dent and the serial number with the local police, if possible. Sounds like bigreen has good reason to suspect it may be stolen. Would be cool to return the bike to the PO.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks for the info, 29er. If I end up buying it, I will test out the v-brakes before making the switch. It will be a back up bike anyway, so maybe it's not even worth the upgrade.

And yes, I will check the top tube. Would it be more towards the head or seat stay of the bike? (the dent, I mean). And curious to know why there would be a dent?

If it is stolen, I will do everything I can to return it to the original owner. My old 98 Gary Fisher Big Sur got stolen years ago, so I know how that feels. I really loved that bike, and hoped that somebody would return it. Sadly, never happened.....

Twenty-niner

I think bigreen just knows of somebody who had a bike stolen that fits that description and the bike had a dent in the top tube that had been repaired.

Twice in my life I've had the honor of tearing someone off of a friend's stolen bike. It's a pretty good feeling for those of us who worship the Bike Gods.

:pROFSheriffHL:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Cackalak Han said:
And yes, I will check the top tube. Would it be more towards the head or seat stay of the bike? (the dent, I mean). And curious to know why there would be a dent?

It was nearer the seat tube, but about half way. Not sure why there was a dent there. This was a friend's bike. Some lowlife broke into his garage and cleaned out all the nice bikes. Road bike or couple, Racer-X, the Bianchi, a single speed and I think a couple others. He had just built the Bianchi and ridden it once. I think that was about three years ago. I think the steel Bianchis are somewhat rare, so I keep my eye out.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
just went by. Didn't see a dent. However upon another test ride, it didn't feel right to me. It was really twitchy and felt unstable while cornering. Maybe that was due to not being used to the bike. I think I will just stick to building up the 29er.

bigreen - search in the salt lake city's craigslist for the pics. There is only that one if you search for a Grizzly.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Twenty-niner said:
Twice in my life I've had the honor of tearing someone off of a friend's stolen bike. It's a pretty good feeling for those of us who worship the Bike Gods.

:pROFSheriffHL:

Very cool...

Sounds like a score regardless. If you come across some other 29er stuff on the SL craigslist, that is me trying to unload all sorts of other wears. Phil, if you are out there I still owe you a bid on some of that LX stuff, sorry about the delay. I have to run it by the owner for approval who is at the OR all weekend. Cheers, Andre

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Cackalak Han said:
However upon another test ride, it didn't feel right to me. It was really twitchy and felt unstable while cornering. Maybe that was due to not being used to the bike. I think I will just stick to building up the 29er.

Good call. I bought a Trek that matched that description and told myself I would get used to it. That was 2000 or 2001. I parked it a couple weeks ago. Never got used to it.

Is there any chance it was built up with a 63mm fork when it was designed for something bigger? That could account for what you felt. I don't know anyone who has gone 29er and regretted it. The absolute worst so far was a neutral.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior