Shock test, includes Tacoma

Drewskers

For apples to apples, they should put some 10-ply load range E off-road tires on that Ridgeline and see what that does to the unsprung mass, and how well the shocks deal with it. Not nearly so well, I expect.

But the real lesson of this video is, any truck can be destroyed by abusing it, and that's exactly what this crew was doing in the first 11 miles. If they'd been driving their personal vehicles that they maintain and repair out of their own pockets, they'd never have been driving like that.

java

Expedition Leader
That was hard to watch...... At least they aired down after they blew a shock on each of the trucks....

Zam15

Explorer
That's crazy, those shocks got super hot! I never had problems with my OEM or OME shocks on my Tacoma and I've done way more on dirt roads than that (Mojave, Baja, Navajo, Moab, Anza, and the outskirts of Death Valley) while fully loaded with gear and going faster...

Still. I think I'll be able to avoid the issue completely now...
35908870395_f53cf40df0_o.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
For apples to apples, they should put some 10-ply load range E off-road tires on that Ridgeline and see what that does to the unsprung mass, and how well the shocks deal with it. Not nearly so well, I expect.

But the real lesson of this video is, any truck can be destroyed by abusing it, and that's exactly what this crew was doing in the first 11 miles. If they'd been driving their personal vehicles that they maintain and repair out of their own pockets, they'd never have been driving like that.

Sounds like sour grapes. Its was more than apples to apples. If anything the Ridgeline grocery getter was at a disadvantage. The other 2 are marketed as "off-road" and clearly don't live up to the hype.

Drewskers

Sour grapes? Nope, I have no dog in this show. And no kidding, the Ridgeline was at a disadvantage. It's amazing the passenger tires on the Ridgeline were not shredded by the Playa road. Especially once they were aired down. For that road, the Ridgeline should have had load range E (10-ply rated) tires, as the other two vehicles did. But load range E tires would add about 10# unsprung mass per wheel, which would add a lot more stress to the already stressed-to-the-max shocks. See what I'm saying?

"Off road" marketing hype or not -- all three vehicles were abused in the first 11 miles in way no experienced off-road driver would treat their personal vehicle.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Sour grapes? Nope, I have no dog in this show. And no kidding, the Ridgeline was at a disadvantage. It's amazing the passenger tires on the Ridgeline were not shredded by the Playa road. Especially once they were aired down. For that road, the Ridgeline should have had load range E (10-ply rated) tires, as the other two vehicles did. But load range E tires would add about 10# unsprung mass per wheel, which would add a lot more stress to the already stressed-to-the-max shocks. See what I'm saying?

"Off road" marketing hype or not -- all three vehicles were abused in the first 11 miles in way no experienced off-road driver would treat their personal vehicle.

I see what you are saying about 10 plys, but the point of the comparison was to drive stock vehicles out there. The other 2 were factory equipped with supposed off road goodies which are really a sham. Aside from the e-lockers that you get offroad packages of this variety are proven to be no more than fluff to raise the price of a truck. Save the money and buy some real shocks and tires when you get the truck, IMO.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
As much as I agree about the "off-road" packages being largely fluff, I don't think this was an off-road test. This was a crap road, but still a road, and it didn't require any of the goodies that off-road-oriented vehicles come with.

Take the same three trucks up something like "The Top of the World" in Moab if you want to compare "street" vs "off-road" packages.

I will say that (based on personal experience driving on rough washboard roads in Death Valley) I'm surprised at how quickly all those shocks gave out. Glad to have remote reservoirs on my suspension.
My point was how many joe six packs hit the washboard road and say to themselves " its all good I've got the xyz package with spraypainted shocks" because they bought in the marketing, not knowing they should've have saved the money and bought even a low level aftermarket product that was better.

Drewskers

I will say that (based on personal experience driving on rough washboard roads in Death Valley) I'm surprised at how quickly all those shocks gave out. Glad to have remote reservoirs on my suspension.

I'm really surprised too, having a penchant for going places where washboard reigns supreme. And all I have is a stock 2004 4Runner SR5 with Bilstein 5100's and Timbren SES on the rear. I'm thinking the Timbren SES probably take the brunt of washboard work off the rear shocks.

plainjaneFJC, point taken about the intent of the comparo and value of off-road packages.

Milo902

Adventurer

Not sure about the Titan, but the 'Yota comes w/ P Metric tires as well. I don't see the need for load range E tires on anything short of a 3/4 ton or a dedicated rock crawler personally. To me the appeal of a taco is to throw on a set of fancy coilovers and drive it like a mini-raptor through the desert. Looks like they were driving reasonably down a washboard road, no shenanigans involved, if you can't do that, what's the point in having a truck?

Drewskers

Not sure about the Titan, but the 'Yota comes w/ P Metric tires as well. I don't see the need for load range E tires on anything short of a 3/4 ton or a dedicated rock crawler personally. To me the appeal of a taco is to throw on a set of fancy coilovers and drive it like a mini-raptor through the desert. Looks like they were driving reasonably down a washboard road, no shenanigans involved, if you can't do that, what's the point in having a truck?

Load range E - not for the load rating - but for the ply rating (stronger sidewalls). The road to the Racetrack is well-known for damaging tires.

IMO, Toyota equipping TRD trucks with P-metric tires just reinforces the low opinions stated already stated here regarding the value of off-road packages. Honestly I am really surprised to hear that. The ONE thing I absolutely would expect to get with an "off road" package are actual off-road tires! Sheesh.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Load range E - not for the load rating - but for the ply rating (stronger sidewalls). The road to the Racetrack is well-known for damaging tires.

IMO, Toyota equipping TRD trucks with P-metric tires just reinforces the low opinions stated already stated here regarding the value of off-road packages. Honestly I am really surprised to hear that. The ONE thing I absolutely would expect to get with an "off road" package are actual off-road tires! Sheesh.

The industry standard E-Load '10-ply' descriptor does not refer to sidewall construction. Most C/D/E-Load tires will only have two-ply or three-ply sidewall.

tire-terminology-feature-678x381.jpg

Drewskers

The industry standard E-Load '10-ply' descriptor does not refer to sidewall construction. Most C/D/E-Load tires will only have two-ply or three-ply sidewall.

The ply rating is the standard measure of sidewall strength. It does not describe the actual construction or physical ply count. LT tires such as the BFG KO2 are load range "E" in most sizes and have a ply rating of 10. P-metric tires do not carry a ply-rating.

For more info see: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior