Gen 3 Montero traction control vs mud -- tire selection?

bugshield

Hi, All.

After looking at about a dozen Land Cruisers and LX470s I bought the first Montero I drove, a 2005 Limited.

It may replace a lifted Wrangler TJ on 33" KO2s (swore I was going to go for Swampers this time and maybe wish I had but snow...) or may just compliment that by being about 100x more useful for just about everything but especially trips over the Mogollon Rim in snow, bike trips, camping trips, etc. We've already wheeled it up around Durango a little while scouting and supporting a bike ride, used it to pull a stuck tow-truck out of the snow on Bolam Pass, and seen a little mud at home. :)

We live on a small river at the top of a lake, two-miles from a maintained road in rural AZ so everything starts with a drive and that includes clay and sometimes clay mud.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the Montero's traction control in dry conditions but in clay mud maybe not so much. The stability control override doesn't completely disable traction control and the traction control cuts power before the tires really get spinning. It does MUCH better once the transfer case is locked but still...

I figure that if I get in actual trouble in the back-40 it's pretty likely to be because rain or snow turned what was otherwise easy into slick sticky clay mud while we're out there.

So my question is, for those of you with experience and mud or AT tires on a Gen 3, can you spin the tires fast enough to keep them slinging clay? I guess as a worst case I could pull the ABS fuse and maybe set a bunch of codes? Another option, of course, is to lock it up with ARB lockers and I might do that but maybe want to give it a chance to prove me wrong first. Thoughts on that?

I'm in the market for tires and looking at 265/70R17 KO2/KM2s or 265/65/17 Duratracs but not in a hurry to give up highway comfort if I can't spin them enough to keep them biting in mud.

Thanks for any wisdom you have to offer.

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
You can turn it off with the switch. I think it still leaves on the stability control but in the wet I can slide it all over spinning the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I've traveled on many trails like the one in this video. Tires will also make big changes to the available grip on clay or mud. I had been using Dunlop/Goodyear ATs, but I have now switched to Toyo AT2s. Have yet to get stuck in the deep mud or clay that I have found, but I also do not willingly drive into a mud hole. The traction control will behave like LSDs for your axles. ASC is the stability control that cuts throttle to prevent spins on paved roads. It can be shut off with the switch on the center console, and is always off in 4LLc. The light will blink and the tires will spin until the system begins to apply ABS pressure to slow the free wheels. Slow and steady throttle has gotten me up everything so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WPsT4p1lE8&t=112s

bugshield

..ASC is the stability control that cuts throttle to prevent spins on paved roads. It can be shut off with the switch on the center console, and is always off in 4LLc. The light will blink and the tires will spin until the system begins to apply ABS pressure to slow the free wheels. Slow and steady throttle has gotten me up everything so far.

Thank you, Michael Brown! I had not made the distinction between ASC and Traction Control when it comes to throttle control.

I normally try not to spin the tires but got a chance to test this a little on the way home tonight as it rained rained pretty good while we were out. Once i heard/felt the bottom scraping I got a little nervous and let the reins out. Yes, the traction control actively tried to manage the wheel speed but I don't think it cut the throttle like I've had happen in the past.

Thanks again for making that distinction for me.

PS. My 265/70R17 KO2s on the way.

bugshield

The funny thing is, I though I had tested that before. I guess I ASSUMED since the traction control was still active the throttle control would be also? Or maybe the traction control has different programs between AWD and High Lock modes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier