2WD van in the winter/snow?

Paddy

Adventurer
I absolutely loved everything about my sprinter van, except that dang 2wd. Constantly causing issues but I did take it places no van should be, and usually got stuck. Truetrac is a great device and only about 500$ I'd highly recommend one but it's no replacement for good ole 4wd. Sad truth and why the heck don't we get options in this day and age?! What the heck! Obviously ups and FedEx get by with 2wd so it is possible for snow but off-road not so much.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
I have done some online research, I have not talked to anyone yet. I planned on contacting Boulder Off Road Vans, they are convenient to me. Also considering the Clydesdale conversion.

Talk to them before you make the van purchase. Make sure they can do what you want. 4X4 Conversions for GM vans are almost unheard of.
Paddy, Fedex my old kneck of the woods hada couple nice lifted 4X4 box vans. Was good for the backwoods areas of NorCal.

Talk to them before you make the van purchase. Make sure they can do what you want. 4X4 Conversions for GM vans are almost unheard of.
Paddy, Fedex my old kneck of the woods hada couple nice lifted 4X4 box vans. Was good for the backwoods areas of NorCal.

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly start up some conversations with the guys who will convert it before I purchase.

I'm going to look at a van tomorrow, is there a way I can tell if it is equipped with the G80 govlock by looking at the data anywhere on the van, vin number, etc?

another_mike

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice. I will certainly start up some conversations with the guys who will convert it before I purchase.

I'm going to look at a van tomorrow, is there a way I can tell if it is equipped with the G80 govlock by looking at the data anywhere on the van, vin number, etc?

G80 should be the actual option code... I havent looked for the sticker in almost 20 years but check the inside of the passenger side door for it

SARguru

Observer

Not sure the comment of GM van conversion being "almost unheard of" is very accurate. Speaking with Clydesdale in Kamloops BC they have converted over 50 GM vans in last 5 years, 20 since November and the Canadian market is tiny. Quigley, Boulder off road and a few others convert them without having to swap to solid front axles, keeping factory IFS.

I have a 2007 3500 15 passenger van with 6.0 and it's totally convertable.

Nic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know about door sticker, but there should be unless gone a tab on top of pumpkin with what axle and ratio. There not always there or always readable.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
I've put literally several hundred thousand miles on my rear wheel drive vans. Had a '98 Chevy 3500 Express EB I drove the snot out of all over America, and now have had an '08 GMC 2500/3500 Savana EB for several years. I've never worried about winter, from up around the northern reaches of the St Lawrence Seaway in Quebec to 'Snowmaggedon' in DC and VA years ago, to one of the worst winter storms Oklahoma has ever seen, where literally 30-40 power poles in a row had been knocked down from ice load, time and time again in various small towns. Fargo ND, and Maine, etc. Had more problems getting the 6.6 diesel started in Fargo at 25 below zero than I ever had getting the van anywhere over snowy or icy roads.

I'm always loaded, too, well most always. When up around the St Lawrence, I came home empty, but don't recall any hard times coming down through Canada and Maine in Feb. I don't recall ever getting stuck, actually, in my Chev or GM vans for any longer than it might have taken to rock it 2-3 times. I've run Michelin LTX M/S2 245/75R16, summer and winter, with terrific results. The current set still has more than acceptable tread after more than five years, but I'm retiring them soon more from age than anything else. They've been on since Oct 2012 and have seen over 95,000 miles.

Good as they've been in winter, though, I'm getting a 4x4 conversion done once I set it up with Sportsman4x4 in Kamloops who does the Clydesdale conversions. This is so I can go further off-road into remote camping and building sites, primarily in the SW desert. A lot of the other 4x4 conversion companies either won't touch GM vans or won't do a van as old as mine with as many miles. It's an '08, 375,000 miles, and Quigley said no. I understand and respect that. I've talked to a bunch of others and they've said no, as well. One or two just plain never got back to me.

I like what Sportsman is doing with their Clydesdale conversions in Kamloops and yeah, they've been doing a slew of them for BC road crews and such with great success. They do back to 2004 GM vans. I'm happy to keep the IFS, as I have no plans for extreme rock-climbing or highly technical trail competition. I just want even greater assurance when way off-road, winter or summer.

Hope you find a great van that suits you purposes, but I wouldn't worry about not being able to get a GM van converted down the road, long as it a 2004 or newer.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.

OH! Forgot to mention: I bought chains for all four tires but have never had to pull them out to use. Haven't done extreme mountain "chains mandatory!" passes in winter, but have handled everything else just fine. I like the longer wheelbase of the GM EB vans, too, over the wagging tail of the Fords on extended bodies. Easier to distribute the weight of a load or get weight just inside the rear doors without worrying it will lift the front at all.

Last edited:

WVI

Adventurer
Once you get used to them, you'd be surprised at where you can go with them even with a single spinner.
I've driven thru areas and have had to go back to pull out folks stuck while they were driving a 4x4....but I still want a possi....

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
With a LSD and 2WD Duallies I've gone through twisty mountain highways and even up the ski hill past the carry chains signs in nasty snowy conditions. I thought the snow was just not very slippery until I was watching the 4x4s sliding around... and then test drove a friends front wheel drive. His car wouldn't move on the level parking lot... in mine it didn't seem at all slippery.

All that said, I've got 6000 lbs over the rear axle 'empty'.

Thanks for the continued feedback, it sets my mind somewhat at ease trying a 2WD in snow country.
I have found a couple of vans locally, a couple of 2016 Chevy's. Unfortunately I have not been able to get off of work at a decent hour this week to look at them. I hope to purchase something in the next couple of weeks.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Snow temp helps traction as water content falls with temp.

A stuck van with all seasons at freezing may spin the tires, but waiting until temps fall a few degrees can lead to an easy drive out.

Sadly, cold is your friend.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

The wife and I looked at a couple vans yesterday. A Sprinter and an extended 3500 Express.

The Sprinter was a 2016, high roof, 12 passenger, 12k miles, rather stark inside, looked like a very basic model. Lots of issues with it, TPMS malfunction lit on the dash, check engine light on about half way through our test drive, oil indicator with "hi" lit up, the rear roof AC poured about a gallon of water onto one of my kids, no cold air from the roof air. Headliner damaged from water leaks around roof AC. This is a little scary on a newer vehicle. All of that aside, it drove nicely, both my wife and I liked the diesel torque and driving experience - we have owned many diesel vehicles. We live in a remote location and this will be for my wife, I am concerned with reliability and distance to any facility that would work on this thing. Price is at the very top of our budget.

A 2014 3500 Extended Express was up next. 6.0l, 15 passenger, 80k miles. Nice vehicle, everything worked :) My wife preferred the driving experience and position on the Chevy over the MB. Says she is okay without the high roof. I like the easier to work on gas V8, better towing capacity, and IMO, a more robust platform. This one has too many miles for us, the same dealer has a 2017 with 8k miles incoming, we are going to check that one out this week when it arrives, we will probably go with it assuming it looks good and the numbers are right.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
As much as I like MB diesels, the Sprinters have been fraught with problems and have become famous for expensive, and frequent, repairs at often obstinate dealerships. When you can find one or get in their schedule. Check out forums for expediters, other Sprinter users, and whatever you can find online. Some Sprinter users swear by their rigs and say the expense and down time is all part of owning any vehicle. Others swear at themselves for ever buying one, get rid of it soon as they can, and get a new Dodge Promaster or Ford Transit. That said, some years are better than others as they tweaked their systems and affiliations with suppliers. Another thing the Sprinters are known for is shorter lived bodies, and often look like hell way before their time.

GM is the only holdout so far from going to the new Euro-style high-bodied vans, but their Express and Savana vans are just rugged, long-lived, easier to find parts for in any part of the country, and far easier to maintain by yourself. I'm biased, having had Chev and GMC diesel vans for around 15yrs, but looking around at--and talking to--those who are satisfied with their vehicles and those who are disgruntled should tell you what you want to know. Personally, I'd hold out for a diesel over gas. They're out there. Found my present one on eBay; was a Penske fleet van leased to Netflix and only ever had one driver.

Good luck with your search.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Have you checked out the Transits? If your even interested in a sprinter I feel like you may end up liking the transit. MG with Expo Vans loves his and its 2wd. Also I feel like the transit market is going to explode with new products here soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94