2WD van in the winter/snow?

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I like the longer wheelbase of the GM EB vans, too, over the wagging tail of the Fords on extended bodies. Easier to distribute the weight of a load or get weight just inside the rear doors without worrying it will lift the front at all.

That long wheelbase has its good points and its bad points - and its NOT good for off-highway as I quickly found out when I bought a long-bed crewcab pickup. The breakover angle is atrocious - going over any kind of hump in the road - even the "dams" the government agencies put in mountain roads to make rain run off over the side of the road instead of down the road - would cause the transfer case bash plate of the pickup to hit.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
. . . I like the longer wheelbase of the GM EB vans, too, over the wagging tail of the Fords on extended bodies. Easier to distribute the weight of a load or get weight just inside the rear doors without worrying it will lift the front at all.

That long wheelbase has its good points and its bad points - and its NOT good for off-highway as I quickly found out when I bought a long-bed crewcab pickup. The breakover angle is atrocious - going over any kind of hump in the road - even the "dams" the government agencies put in mountain roads to make rain run off over the side of the road instead of down the road - would cause the transfer case bash plate of the pickup to hit.

Agreed. A lot will depend on whether it's 4x4 or not, and if lifted, and what size tires that may lift it further, even by half inch. I've had my RWD long-wheelbase all over the place back-country without any problems, though intentionally stay off technical trails and rock-climbing situations where folks seem to just want to see how much trouble they can overcome.

Once I get it converted to 4x4 though, with a 4-5" lift they tell me, I'll venture onto more rugged trails, I'm sure. I'm also sure I'll still be over-cautious but not over-daring. Nor will I fall prey to dares from others. My van is my daily driver and home on the road for months at a time. Will be interesting to see how it handles what I need it to do. You can bet I'll be documenting it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94