2WD van in the winter/snow?

I'm thinking of replacing my wife's high mileage 4x4 Expedition EL with a van. I have some concerns with a 2WD vehicle and winter driving conditions. I'm looking for opinions and real world experience with a 2WD van in the snow.

We live in Colorado, in the mountains near Fairplay, about 10,000'. We receive quite a bit of snow, but not as much as the I70 corridor where the ski areas are. I commute about 100 miles one way to Denver daily, I see quite a bit of ice and winter driving conditions, I commute in an AWD BMW car with snow tires, never any issues. My wife would use the van for taking our kids back and forth to school and occasional transport for her in-home daycare. The van would be equipped with studded snows in season, and a couple of years down the road (when money allows) converted to 4WD. We are considering a van because the Expedition is too small for us - four young kids, 2 big dogs - and the daycare. We would like to have a vehicle we can equip for family camping and road trips.

I'm leaning towards a newer (2016 or 2017) Chevy/GMC Express 3500 extended wheelbase. I have always been a Ford guy, but prefer the GM 6.0l power train and the more traditional and heavy duty construction vs a Ford Transit. Not to mention newer Chevy Express vans seem to be popular rental vehicles = readily available like new for not too much money. I'm open to other van ideas, the AWD GM vans are out because they hold fewer passengers then our Expedition and I do not want a 1/2 ton based vehicle. 4WD Sprinter's are out of my price range.

Keep in mind my wife will be driving this vehicle in the winter, full of kids. She is an experienced and competent winter driver. I don't want to set her up to have issues getting around. Ideally we would like to wait a couple of years until we can afford a van and the cost of a 4WD conversion at the same time, but we would like a larger vehicle for her daycare and are trying to avoid dumping a bunch of money in the Expy to keep it reliably on the road for the next couple of years.

Thoughts?

WVI

Adventurer
You can get by with a van, especially if you install a limited slip....It's hard to match the Expy tho...

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
It's all about the tires and driver's skills imho.

But my rig has 265 / 75 - 16 BFG KO2 with stock LSD and loaded very heavy. All around easy in snow. I've driven in CO. During a 16 inch show fall to a blizzard in NJ.

Just mind the stopping distance.

Last edited:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Put about 500 lbs (sandbags, etc.) or so up against the rear doors to counteract the weight of the engine, and put snow tires on 'er and you should be good to go. But carry chains just in case........

I put up with a 2 wheel drive van for several years and quickly learned that without extra weight in the back the thing was pretty much helpless unless chained up. That's why I've been driving 4x4 vans for the past 40 years.

WVI

Adventurer
I had 250lbs of ice melt in the back of mine this past winter as they saod it was to be a bad one....barely any snow!

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
Put about 500 lbs (sandbags, etc.) or so up against the rear doors to counteract the weight of the engine, and put snow tires on 'er and you should be good to go. But carry chains just in case........

Yep! Got to have chains anyway, per Code 16 (Passenger Vehicle Chain Law). Most folks with 4WD don't, but if Code 16 is invoked, you can get a hefty ticket.

jdharrin

Observer
My buddy right over the hill from you in Blue River keeps up with my AWD just fine in his 2wd E350 with snows with one exception - my very steep snow packed driveway. Assuming you can stick to maintained roads and have decent skills, its all about the tires in my experience. Just look at all those CME vans running up and down the hill all winter.

Choff

Adventurer
Get an AWD Savana or Express, I had many RWD Vans in Wisconsin and would never go back to that again!!!
AWD Is far better in snow country

rex_1_mn

Observer
I have a truetrac in my old chevy g20. With that, good snows, and chains you can get in way deeper than you should be with a 2wd. It gets me around well in the winter in the flat lands but I don't know if I would want to drive it around in the mountains. I would look for an AWD chev if it were me.

Thanks for all of the great feedback!

I think I am going to give it a go. Good studded snows and chains will happen before the snow falls. Our driveway is a concern, my wife says she often has to put the Expy in 4wd to get up it. I guess I could break down and have it plowed :)

The AWD vans will not work for us, we need a 12+ passenger van and at least 3/4 ton preferably 1 ton van. Keep in mind we will convert this to 4x4 a couple of years from now.

We were going to get rid of my wife's well aged 4Matic Mercedes wagon, I think we will keep this just in case she has any issues with the van this winter. She would not be able to haul all of our kids and day care kids in the MB, but at least she would have it just in case.

Petrolburner

Explorer
You will have no trouble with an extended body E350 and studded snow tires. The extra length behind the rear axle gives you some extra weight already. If you get one like mine with a Ford Trak-lock LSD from the factory you'll be all set.

JPutnam

Observer
Ive driven a few econolines daily. been in some sketchy situations. good tires help on hills. I bet you wont have much of an issue. I also suggest a 7.3l e350. they are heavy and pull through everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz