Toyota Tacoma purchase Southern California

quickfarms

Adventurer
I am in the market for a new truck. My son totaled the dodge and the ford has 200,000 miles on it.

I am looking at a double cab 4wd long bed Tacoma. I want a SR5 or better due to the options.

Any advice on the good or bad of the versions?

Are there any dealers in California that give good deals?

gekicker08

I went through this as well last year when my jeep had run its course. What I've learned with buying cars is that the packages mean jack crap unless there's something in them that you can't live without. What I would recommend with the new tacoma is getting an SR5 with 4x4 and the upgraded sound system then add on whatever stuff you want from there. The TRD OR and Sport suspensions are definitely just OK. With the money you could save by not buying one you could get a decent to moderate suspension set up for your SR. Look at the ARB taco, they bought a base model SR5 and then tricked it out way better than the factory ever could. That being said, I bought a TRD Off road in order to have the upgraded software for the 4x4 which I use actually pretty regularly with the sand at the beach and the mountain climbs that I do for my various hobbies (read: addictions ha). Its all about picking what you NEED and then combining that with what you want then finding that truck. It exists 99% of the time, even if not from the factory. You won't be disappointed with a new taco, I sure love mine.

Moving Chicane

Already Gone.
Any updates?

Longo Toyota seems to have the most inventory but I've never dealt with them.
I've bought from Downtown Toyota (meh), Long Beach Toyota (OK), and DCH Toyota (best of the three) in the past. I'm looking for a new truck again now too.
*sigh*

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just know most of the toyota dealers especially the jumbo places are all owned by the same Auto Group. Same as in Norcal. Dont view the seeable inventory as a deciding factor given all of the dealers especially the Auto Group owned meter out very specific models and trims to carefully manage the local going price. Another words unless its a small ma and pa shop your 100% being manipulated from the second you start looking on the big lots. Toyota in CA seems to be the worst brand for this mainly due to the Autogroup problem.

Smaller dealers out in the foot hills might be a better experience. And all dealers can get the exact truck you want. They swap and trade cars all the time to get customers what they want.

Know which dealers are owned by the same auto group then youll know their game , pricing etc not to mention theyll know you even if you havent visited that location yet.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Basically figure out what model / trim and options you want then simply email the online sales guy. I did this with our Ford even with over 12 independant dealers within 60minutes it took a few days to get one dealer to crack into the acceptable pricing for the exact car. Once I had that it was just a matter of doing an inspection, test drive and signing the paper work. I spent 1hour actually at a dealer. Negotiations was via phone once I got a dealer to offer a price that was within logic.

My toyota dealer experience was so epically bad we skipped the dealer and bought a craigs list single owner soccer mom rig 4hrs after the owner had posted it. He had three dealers call offering to buy it while we were doing the deal. Yup controlling the inventory and pricing even extends to craigs list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94