Differential Side Bearings

evomaki

Observer
I am installing an ARB RD154 into a 4.90 third member from a Sport, for installation into my gen 2.5. While I generally like to stay away from messing with anything ring and pinion, this might just be a DIY job as I'm not messing with the pinion gear, re-using the same ring gear., and I have a dial caliper to measure backlash. Anyhow a couple of quick questions. As always, grateful for any advice from those in the know:

OK to re-use the side bearings on the diff? They all look really good from what I can see so far, and presuming I don't trash them on removal (see next point) I'd like to re-use them if that is not a bad idea.

Do I need that special puller shown in the FSM for removing the two side bearings, or can those be removed with the likes of the proper Harbor Freight puller or Autozone loaner? And of course some improvising for the puller "seat" for lack of better term? I don't mind Macgyvering up a tool, but curious what I'm up against.

Will I need a press to re-install the bearings or can this be pulled off with a dead-blow hammer and the right diameter pipe / socket for impacting the inner bearing race so as not to trash the bearing? I think the FSM mentions pressing. I've seen some ARB install videos by a knowledgeable fellow and he used the hammer method. Wasn't a Montero but a ARB for an 80 series LC. Not sure how different that would be. I don't have a press, but a buddy of mine has a small one, so I have a fall back.

Again, thanks for the help guys,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94