Am I crazy for considering a black colored vehicle?

My preference would first be white, then maybe silver or charcoal. Just so happens that the "deal of the moment" happens to be on a black colored vehicle instead. So yes, it will be a bit hotter than white both on the outside of the vehicle's body but also as well on the inside. Additionally, black vehicles are harder to see at night and possibly less safe than a more visible one--ask me how I know....

Pull the trigger or continue the waiting game? As a trade off... I am contemplating if I were to buy the black vehicle to have the roof and hood of the SUV wrapped with white vinyl as well get the windows tinted...

I'd love to hear from other expo members on their experiences, any regrets or revelations, or just any 'ol plain jaw jacking or banter. Thanks in advance from the Land of Land Cruiser....

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Huh?

Where I live, all vehicles are hot. If you seriously think that black over white makes a significant and reasonable difference... You shouldn't believe everything that you read on the Internet. There may be a difference that can be measured by instrumentation, but not by the human body. Any car gets hot enough to rot your bananas and kill pets and kids... No matter the color...

So it becomes an aesthetics question. I see no reason not to buy black, especially if it is a a discount or really good price. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that white with a black top looks good, while black with a white top looks ridiculous... X10 if the hood is also done in white.

Just my $0.02.

v_man

Explorer
You want to buy a black vehicle and then wrap it in white vinyl? I think you're overthinking the perceived disadvantages of a black car.

The only thing I don't like about my black vehicle is that it shows brush scratches a little more than a lighter colored vehicle...

HxfnpkA.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Black's a pain in the *** to keep a clean appearance.
Owned a black 4x4 minitruck 30yrs ago, learned the lesson. Knew the lesson a few years ago when searching for my project Suburban but after more than a year of searching for the right used vehicle that met my mechanical and wear condition criteria, the best deal I found was Black and I bought it anyway. And have spent some effort the last couple years trying to offset some of the heat issues.

suburbanlevel170109.jpg

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I own two black SUV's, so I guess if there is a issue with them I've failed to see it. I agree with the comment that if you think it makes a big difference you believe too much of the internet.

I will say it's nice in winter. Ice and snow actually melt off my vehicle if the sun shows itself at all, but cling like cement to white vehicles.

In summer it doesn't matter the color it's hot as hell inside a vehicle regardless. Use a sun reflector shade in the windshield when parked, crack the windows when you can, when you drive off roll down a few windows to blow out the hot air then hit the AC. Haven't seen a vehicle yet that wasn't like an oven in the summer, regardless of color.

XJINTX

Explorer
As mentioned Black shows all the scratches... if you wheel where you get them. I always just told my wife that "Chicks dig scars" ;) I now drive a white Jeep and silver truck. They have lots of scratches just not as noticeable. I live in TX and try and find a shady parking spot when I can. The black exterior was never a lot hotter than my new vehicles. That said nobody in TX wants a black interior ;)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
And why do you suppose it is that those black vehicles are cheaper than their non-black equivalents? ;)
For me, black is a deal breaker, as is Navy blue. We get too much sun up here in CO.

MR. ED

Observer
Living in the desert s.w. I said I'd never own a black vehicle....I too got a good deal on a truck and it's black. I only regret it 3 months of the year. It used to look really nice all cleaned up, but it's so scratched up now I just leave it dirty. I will never buy a black car again, unless it's an old vette. Go with your instinct and good luck.

Lucky j

Explorer
I have own the same jeep yj wrangler (black) for 20 years. Still have it. Yep, it could be a pain to keep clean, but I did not care to have it that clean. And the color is way more cool looking than any other color.

My DD 2005 nissan x-trail is black. Just love it in that color.

I have now replace the YJ wrangler with a silver 2005 LJ wrangler. Just do not like it. But at 6500$ US with only 65000 miles on the clock, ai could not pass it up. Yep, dust might not show as much, but maintaning that paint is a pain. Any rust dust will show, little spike of rust aslo shows big time.

And as for safety, whait, grey, silver just do not show on a rainy day, at dusk or in the fog of even a snow storm, you just do not see them even with parking lights on. A dark color will show much better in the situation. And at night, no colors realy shows that much more. Only if you have reflectors on lights on. What make it not to bad on the LJ is the fact that I have a lot of black that create a contrast color to the silver that will make it stand out more in the fog.

Oh yea, gf use to have a silver RAV4 with tire cover and all. Could not see her in a snow storm and she never learned or understood the importance of praking litgh at ON.

Personal experience.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One of the members of the Suburban Mafia (Geronracing or maybe TBIsaacs?) had a black Suburban that he painted over with tan bed liner called Monsta Liner (we put Monsta Liner on our all-wooden Teardrop trailer in 2013 so I know just how much of an involved process that must have been! It took us a full weekend and I'll bet our Teardrop had less than 1/4 the surface area of a Suburban!)
Anyway, the fact that someone would go to such efforts to cover over black should tell you something. ;)
What annoys me about this is that when I look at the GMT-900 Suburbans available on the used marked (for if and when I ever replace my GMT-800) a large percentage of them are black. Don't know if they were owned by limo companies or government agencies or what but it really cuts down on the available used vehicles for me.
What astonishes me even more than black exterior painted vehicles are vehicles that are black on the outside and have black leather interiors. There are a LOT of those around and I can't help but think they must be torture racks if you park them in the sun on a hot day and then have to get back in to drive home.

Zemiller

I wouldn't consider the black color a deal breaker if it's otherwise what you want. Color is kind of a personal choice I suppose. It can be measureably warmer in the sun and that may make a difference to you. I didn't want black but it's what was available with my requirements. It does everything it's light colored counterparts can do, it just warms up quicker in direct sunlight.

v_man

Explorer
^ You realize there's a little button with the letters 'A' and 'C' on it. Push it and the interior cools down...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I use to think it didnt matter. Except when buying a new car for my mom. Two identical cars slightly different options one black one white side by side. Omg the white car was much cooler than the black one it was an easy decision even though the white one needed an option added.

My really dark Blue car I hate it. Its hot, shows every scratch etc. Ive had three Sandy brown/gold cars that color worked OK. Silver is hard to paint match for repairs wifes old silver car looked like hell after getting a repair job. White is nice, gold/browns work well, darker greys like the gun metal colors seem pretty good.

My deep forest green truck was sharp looking but the dark paint didnt hold up.

After working at a dealer in college I swore I would never own a black vehicle.

One of the members of the Suburban Mafia (Geronracing or maybe TBIsaacs?) had a black Suburban that he painted over with tan bed liner called Monsta Liner (we put Monsta Liner on our all-wooden Teardrop trailer in 2013 so I know just how much of an involved process that must have been! It took us a full weekend and I'll bet our Teardrop had less than 1/4 the surface area of a Suburban!)
Anyway, the fact that someone would go to such efforts to cover over black should tell you something. ;)
What annoys me about this is that when I look at the GMT-900 Suburbans available on the used marked (for if and when I ever replace my GMT-800) a large percentage of them are black. Don't know if they were owned by limo companies or government agencies or what but it really cuts down on the available used vehicles for me.
What astonishes me even more than black exterior painted vehicles are vehicles that are black on the outside and have black leather interiors. There are a LOT of those around and I can't help but think they must be torture racks if you park them in the sun on a hot day and then have to get back in to drive home.
I own an 07 Tahoe black on black since new and previously had a white 00 Yukon XL with tan interior.

Both of those vehicles would heat up on the inside on a hot summer day parked in the full sun.

Both vehicles had/have front and rear A/C and which are able to comfortably cool these vehicles in less in less than 3 minutes of starting the engine.

Never had an issue with the leather seats, tan or black being too hot. The center console armrests .ca. seat your arm, but not the seats.

GM makes a fantastic air conditioner for these vehicles IMO.

Most new vehicles with automatic transmissions, regardless of make and model, have or can be equipped with remote start, so I don't see how color has any real advantage or disadvantage in regards to cooling/heating nowadays.

White shows pollen worse and black shows other dirt worse and scratches. But I use a buffer and waxed when needed, my Tahoe still looks good, at least to me.

My black 1998 Jeep Wrangler that turns 20 this November on the other hand shows rust, but just in the front fenders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier