O2 sensors... black connectors, grey connectors

122andy

Observer
(Regarding an 02 full size Montero) I didnt see that this have ever been brought up in discussions of o2 sensors. Most everyone mentions that all 4 are the same part number and are interchangeable, which is true to an extent. Say, you track down a bad upstream drivers side O2, and you order one thinking they are all the same, and receive a black connector, it wont plug in without trimming the plastic tabs off. The downstream on the drivers side is a black connector. Its just the opposite for the pass side. Upstream is black, downstream is grey. There is no mention of any of this when ordering and trying to specify which you need, a black or grey connector. And I havent seen it mentioned on here. Just make sure when replacing them all you have two grey, two black. A bit frustrating to say the least when I tried to replace just one.

KyleT

Explorer
On my 03 and 06 they are two part numbers. Black and grey connectors. Different wire lengths to iirc.

122andy

Observer
The aftermarket has it screwed up. When you cross reference the Mitsu numbers it seems that the results are sometimes one color and sometimes another. You can either verify that you are getting a black or grey connector before ordering, order a factory Mitsu parts, or just trim the plastic tabs and make it fit. I just think its dumb the way the colors setup from the factory. You would think fronts would be grey and rears would be black or something like that. But I guess it keeps you from crossing up connections having them arranged the way they do.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I replaced all four sensors back in '14 and ordered Denso parts.
Each sensor has a different part number...based on the type of plug and length of wire.

234-4633
234-4656
234-4741
234-4742

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online