Fan clutch failing, factory temp gauge is useless.

122andy

Observer
Sitting in traffic I noticed the temp gauge at 3/4 of the way up, yikes! As long as I am moving everything is ok. Have you guys noticed the factory coolant temp gauge is useless? Mine doesnt start moving until it gets to 230, which is way past where I would want to notice it getting warm. Basically 180-230 reads the same. Good job Mitsu. All cars in general should have an alarm that goes off past 220. In this age of technology and information theres no reason why theres not. It would be simple and probably save a ton of headaches. Rant off. :)

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I've been thinking about converting to a digital gauge attached to an electric fan so I could set the desired coolant temp as well as monitor any trends. But from a cost/benefit perspective it's not really worth it, it would mostly be a fun project.

I will absolutely agree though, so much of automotive electronic monitoring/indication seems stuck in the 80s, we have all this very impressive emissions/spark/fuel control with millisecond accuracy and they couldn't be bothered to monitor coolant temp...

kalieracer

Observer
I am looking to get one of these when they are in stock.

http://www.madman.co.za/

I've been thinking about converting to a digital gauge attached to an electric fan so I could set the desired coolant temp as well as monitor any trends. But from a cost/benefit perspective it's not really worth it, it would mostly be a fun project.

I will absolutely agree though, so much of automotive electronic monitoring/indication seems stuck in the 80s, we have all this very impressive emissions/spark/fuel control with millisecond accuracy and they couldn't be bothered to monitor coolant temp...

nckwltn

Explorer
yeah... I have the same rant.... temp gauge in the gen 2.5 is very simliar... 199-200 is almost the exact same reading.

Gen 3 is known for faulty temp gauge, easy fix with a soldering iron.

I dropped ~60 bucks on an ultra gauge. it gives you a bunch of data from the computer, including an exact temp number. I've set alarms so that if the temp goes too high, you get a warning beep.

the UltraGauge also gives you a bunch of fuel info that you don't get (distance to empty, gallons per hour, average mpg, mpg since start, etc) along with obd2 code reading and mileage counters for things like oil changes.

because it's a dedicated device, you'll always have it on and running... unlike some of the smart phone/bluetooth options.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
yeah... I have the same rant.... temp gauge in the gen 2.5 is very simliar... 199-200 is almost the exact same reading.

Gen 3 is known for faulty temp gauge, easy fix with a soldering iron.

I dropped ~60 bucks on an ultra gauge. it gives you a bunch of data from the computer, including an exact temp number. I've set alarms so that if the temp goes too high, you get a warning beep.

the UltraGauge also gives you a bunch of fuel info that you don't get (distance to empty, gallons per hour, average mpg, mpg since start, etc) along with obd2 code reading and mileage counters for things like oil changes.

because it's a dedicated device, you'll always have it on and running... unlike some of the smart phone/bluetooth options.

I also have an UltraGauge in my Monty.
The temp. gauge needs to be soldered and it's way down on my list...

(The OEM thermo. is 212* fully opened)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles