Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roof Rack for RTT recommendation?

I think something like the attached pic would really cut down on the noise... having the baffles set back behind the front of the rack helps with the harmonic vibrations of the rack planks, but I think they add more wind noise than a flat sheet running across the top of the windscreen...

wind.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by koly View Post
    I think something like the attached pic would really cut down on the noise... having the baffles set back behind the front of the rack helps with the harmonic vibrations of the rack planks, but I think they add more wind noise than a flat sheet running across the top of the windscreen...

wind.jpg
    That would be awesome if someone built that!

I have a Front Runner Rack with an Auto Home Airtop installed on my Mercedes 300GD. It's my 3rd FR rack and I wouldn't go with anything else. No issues with wind noise.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDog View Post
    That would be awesome if someone built that!
    There'd be a LOT of room for some branding of some kind *hint FrontRunner Logo* - and a place to put all my off-road decals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
    I have a Front Runner Rack with an Auto Home Airtop installed on my Mercedes 300GD. It's my 3rd FR rack and I wouldn't go with anything else. No issues with wind noise.
    How did you mount the rack to the gutters? Did you trim the edge of the tropical roof?
    1999 Mercedes Benz G500
    1995 Mercedes Benz G320 SWB
    1989 VW Syncro Westfalia 2.5
    1978 VW Westfalia deluxe

I ended up bending the feet out slightly, closer to 90 degrees. They are pushing in the top roof ever so slightly but it springs back to normal when removed. I refused to trim the roof and I almost had custom feet made but after having tested it I was relieved to find out that I didn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by otiswesty View Post
    How did you mount the rack to the gutters? Did you trim the edge of the tropical roof?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12