Roof Rack for RTT recommendation?

M Threezy

Looking for a roof rack recommendation that will fit a roof top tent for my 2000 G-Wagen.

Front Runner - I've seen many G's use this, but I am told some modifications need to be made in order to fit a RTT

Rhino Rack - The new Pioneer rack is coming out, but will be a few months.

Cross bars - Any one have experience with these and a RTT?

Any other roof racks people recommend or have experience with that fits a RTT well?

I have a James Baroud Grand Rapid XXL on order.

Thanks!

Bryan_FRO

Supporting Sponsor
Mounting your RTT will work on the Front Runner rack system as long as you have the correct mounting system. You can either use our new Quick Release Mounts or our Standard Tent Mount kit.

Feel free to contact us anytime for more info.

Bryan
818-253-1322
Bryan@FrontRunnerOutfitters.com

Last edited:

Don Raptor

Observer
I am running the Front Runner rack with a ARB Simpson III. No mods needed on the rack/RTT mounting. and it's awesome. just makes you want to buy more stuff (which I did...)

Malte

thebigblue

Adventurer
http://www.upracks.com , I have a 2,5 m. on mine, I prefer it over the FR, because the rails follow the length of the G! And cheaper, and all welded aluminum...

_CF_6763.jpg

Last edited:

koly

Observer
search the P3 forum - there are plenty of guys that have mounted their tents just using cross bars.

I've run my RTT on a Baja Rack (worked perfectly fine) and a Front Runner. I prefer the Front Runner because it's modular system is great.

Hey Bryan @ Front Runner - any way you guys could design a better air-dam for the front of the G? Mount it on top of the front rail, run the width of the rack, and slope down toward the windscreen at the same rake as the screen? I think it'd make your rack much quieter...

Also, would love to see you guys offer an NMO radio antenna mount for your rack.

MetalDog

Observer
search the P3 forum - there are plenty of guys that have mounted their tents just using cross bars.

I've run my RTT on a Baja Rack (worked perfectly fine) and a Front Runner. I prefer the Front Runner because it's modular system is great.

Hey Bryan @ Front Runner - any way you guys could design a better air-dam for the front of the G? Mount it on top of the front rail, run the width of the rack, and slope down toward the windscreen at the same rake as the screen? I think it'd make your rack much quieter...

Also, would love to see you guys offer an NMO radio antenna mount for your rack.

Amen to them finally building a better windscreen. It shocks me they haven't done it yet.

burquedoka

Adventurer
Frontrunner is a great rack, I love mine. You can get the correct combination of parts to make it the full, exact length of the G roof, and the width is spot on.

otiswesty

Regular guy
I used just crossbars for my RTT on my G500. Use a minimum of 3 if you go this route.

For a full rack, your best bet will be the lightest and lowest profile available. I think the Baja rack fits the bill pretty nicely and is economical as well. The Front Runner offers a lot of options for bolt ons, but with an XXL tent, you may not be able to get anything else on it anyways.
Cheers

Bryan_FRO

Supporting Sponsor

Hey Koly,

Adding anything to the roof of a vehicle will have some sort of increase in wind noise, but the noise should be minimal. If you have any excess noise or whistling issues shoot us an email with a few photos and we can have a look for you. You can email me directly at Bryan@FrontRunnerOutfitters.com.

Also, we dont have any antenna mounts, but we make a few different universal brackets that may work for you. We have also seen people mount an antenna to the top of our bottle openers. It has works quite well for small mounts.

Bryan

MetalDog

Observer
Hey Koly,

Adding anything to the roof of a vehicle will have some sort of increase in wind noise, but the noise should be minimal. If you have any excess noise or whistling issues shoot us an email with a few photos and we can have a look for you. You can email me directly at Bryan@FrontRunnerOutfitters.com.

Also, we dont have any antenna mounts, but we make a few different universal brackets that may work for you. We have also seen people mount an antenna to the top of our bottle openers. It has works quite well for small mounts.

Bryan

Bryan, not trying to stir the pot. Have a FR on my 200 and my G550... but they are significanly louder than my Baja Rack and Eezi Awn K9. Much better in every other way, thus me going back to FR on both the rigs, but they are LOUD. Steve @ FrontRunner has been saying for years that an updated wind deflector is in the works. Count me in for one if it ever happens. = D

koly

Observer
I think something like the attached pic would really cut down on the noise... having the baffles set back behind the front of the rack helps with the harmonic vibrations of the rack planks, but I think they add more wind noise than a flat sheet running across the top of the windscreen...

wind.jpg

MetalDog

Observer
I think something like the attached pic would really cut down on the noise... having the baffles set back behind the front of the rack helps with the harmonic vibrations of the rack planks, but I think they add more wind noise than a flat sheet running across the top of the windscreen...

View attachment 413016

That would be awesome if someone built that!

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
I have a Front Runner Rack with an Auto Home Airtop installed on my Mercedes 300GD. It's my 3rd FR rack and I wouldn't go with anything else. No issues with wind noise.

otiswesty

Regular guy
I have a Front Runner Rack with an Auto Home Airtop installed on my Mercedes 300GD. It's my 3rd FR rack and I wouldn't go with anything else. No issues with wind noise.

How did you mount the rack to the gutters? Did you trim the edge of the tropical roof?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles