Market for $80k complete truck and camper - mini earthroamer?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think my neighbors new rig was darn close to 80k. 8ft bed custom ordered F150 heavy load package 3.5L duel turbo, sporting a fully tricked out FWC.

Your not getting past a pickup/camper combo for that price range. And nothing wrong with that either. But if your thinking Super RV type rig at that price? Maybe a used Winnabago.

MTCK

Observer
Just me but if I was going to drop $80k on a rig, it wouldn't be based on a 6,000# GVW truck. I think most folks willing and able to spend mid six figure dollars want the nice stuff, and the nice stuff is heavy. Market could exist. Now I think a lot of folks get there with a pickup and slide in or flat bed pop up camper.

Lance990

Observer
I have a 1997 F350 XLT DRW Supercab 7.5L truck and a 1998 Lance Legend 990 truck camper with everything including a built in 3,400W propane generator, 340W of solar. Dry bath, 46 gallons of fresh water, 22 gallons gray and 26 gallons black. It has a microwave, a 11,000 BTU AC and a 18,000 propane furnace. Altogether, I have a little over $14,000 invested in the entire rig. It's no Earthroamer but I don't need $386,000 more in luxuries. Even with 2WD, I can go anywhere I want, except through mud holes, deep sand and up rock faces. My point is that maybe you start by locating used vehicles and campers and start outfitting them to be more self-sufficient. I'll bet you could sell them like hotcakes! I'll guarantee you there is a big market for $14,000 rigs like mine. I get offers on it all the time. Not every product has to be made with new parts. There is plenty of used equipment on the market that could be refurbished and built according to customers needs. I don't want to spend $80k+ on anything.

boxcar1

boxcar1
I think you may be missing a very cost effective point here. At $80,000 for a new rig one could purchase an older rig and have it completely restored to what ever level you want or need.
You would then have a rig that is serviceable in the field. Something that is completely lost with anything newer than a 2006 or later truck.
A bare bones empty shell at $30,000 is just plain greed. I have shown that one can build up a complete rolling and outfitted expedition worthy rig for less.

ripperj

Explorer
I think you may be missing a very cost effective point here. At $80,000 for a new rig one could purchase an older rig and have it completely restored to what ever level you want or need.
You would then have a rig that is serviceable in the field. Something that is completely lost with anything newer than a 2006 or later truck.
A bare bones empty shell at $30,000 is just plain greed. I have shown that one can build up a complete rolling and outfitted expedition worthy rig for less.

I completely restored (90%) brand new an Alaskan Truck camper, but not everyone has the skill, time, or desire to do so. Hiring a job out like that would not be cost effective. It would be cheaper to buy new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

::Squish::

Observer
Sportsmobiles are right in that $70-100K space.
And have a decent sized market share to boot, there's no less than three of them within 2 miles of my house, and that's only the ones parked on the street.

But in that price range you can get a very nice truck and slide in camper,

peekay

Adventurer
I had a 4wd Tiger RV on a Ford SD chassis, with 285/75/16 tires. In my opinion, the 4wd was only marginally needed because you're not realistically likely to get into situations that require 4wd with a vehicle of that size and more importantly, height. The height was always causing it to scrape on overhanging tree limbs on trails. The only time I needed 4wd was on snow, and I suppose, sand.

Samuelashirley,

You mention the new Ranger as a mini "EarthRomer"

It already exsits!

Search Ford Ranger Oman

Starting price less than 58K USD. with the New Ford Ranger. Diesel 4x4

https://www.burow-reisemobile.de/pick-up/oman-ford-ranger/

Review by Alan Heath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vViZMRHGFmw

In Action by Explorer Mag. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP7wwKkQZHw

If you could ship the new Ranger to Burow have them put there camper on it, you would have a US registered vehicle and still be under 80K. The devil is in the details of course.

Safe Travels,

ScottReb

Adventurer
Hopefully the new 2019 Ranger coming to US will have the same carrying capacity as the ROW currently has does. That would make a great base for exactly what Burow does.

zb39

Adventurer
There is a market for the 150K price. ER are way over priced for what you get. My 2016 Laramie Limited 3500 DRW and my 2017 Host mammoth are in that market. I have the luxury, drop dead reliable
drivetrain, and some room. 65 gal of water, gen set, I put 6 6 volt batts in with a 4k pure sine wave inverter. I can run my AC or my electric fireplace with it for a few hours. It will go anywhere I want to go. I also flat tow a wrangler behind it. It works for me...........

zb39

Adventurer
Here r some pics of it................

Attachments

• IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 110

zb39

Adventurer
That truck is all stock. Factory rear air suspension set in lower position. TL frame mount tie downs. Factory tires and wheels. 14K GVW. Rear axle 9750lbs, front 6000lbs. Total 15750 lbs.
Factory tires are good for 18120 lbs. Loaded with full water, fuel, supplies, and 2 people 15100lbs. Rear 9400 lbs, front 5700lbs.

Lance990

Observer
You know that's not how it works, right? That truck is overloaded by 1,100 lbs. You have far exceeded the capacity of that truck and that is dangerous for everyone on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles