Market for $80k complete truck and camper - mini earthroamer?

mrblah

Observer
If someone wanted to undercut the earthroamer's you'll have to make some "cheap" choices.

Personnaly, I don't mind. Earthroamer's are for people who want a great view out their windows but not really get outdoors. My 2 cents.

A company in Qc make fiberglass single body shells for mobile service units, Maranda : https://www.serdenmaranda.ca/

Their biggest 8ft box (empty) is around 10k$ with already reinforced poles to fix metal shelves. Use this, outfit it to the customers "frugal" desires and call it a day. They could probably consier making a shell that doesn't require the truck's bed for a serious enough series of campers...

But the end result is the same. To make a dent in the market under 120k, you'll have to make it a bit more "boondocky" then plush...

powderproject

Great looking rig.. love the size
Great thread. We actually fall within your demographic and found ourselves in the position of wanting an off-road capable rig. After owning everything from ground tents, RTT, bumper pull, Class C and Truck Camper (No fifth wheel due not being able to go off road) We've learned a lot of lessons on and off the road and wanted some very specific features and capabilities. 4wd, less then 20 ft in length, class C walk thru cab design, US chassis, aluminum/fiberglass construction, interior wetbath (if your traveling with lady, this is critical sooner or later....) and normal amenities (stove, hot water, heat and storage) we looked at all the new rigs on the market and quickly determined their biggest issue was price and the reality of banging around on the trails in a $160k rig would get old very quickly. And for our demographic, the single biggest issue is paying it off, no debt. So, we choose to track down an older camper and restore it. We found a 1995 Provan Tiger on a K2500 4wd Chevy chassis. We lightened the interior and components, added a 3 inch suspension lift, had the mechanics completely redone. We've already covered about 15 states and countless off-road and forest road destinations. Will it do the metal masher, no. But it has no problems with the vast number of easy trails that get you into the back country. Also, I'd say 4wd is necessary on these types of rigs. Not so much for mud bogging, but to reduce the stress loads when tackling steep and rocky trails. I guess in the end your business idea has to bring together a vast array of complex issues other then price. Good luck!

powderproject

IMG_1768.jpgFullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

This is what I came up with for a "Mini-Earthroamer". It is a 2016 F-350 long box. I put on the CM RD flatbed so I could gain the storage space on the sides. If I did it again I would go aluminum flatbed to save weight.. I was trying to save money initially lol. I have had several hard side truck campers in the past and have always loved the two piece construction of the big foot and the n lite but I didn't have the cash to throw down. I finally pulled the trigger on a 2012 N Lite 8'11" It fits flat on the deck and the center of gravity of the unit is way in front of the rear axle.. Pretty pumped on the setup but I do wish we had more space in the camper. It is just my fiance and my dog, but the pup def doesn't have much room to chill but it works for now. We have room for surfboards, camping gear, firewood etc. Its not the end all be all but its working for now and I have about $85,000 invested. If I had my way I would want a side door and a bit more floor space.. How about a N Lite with a side door and a slide out? haha

Last edited:
PowderProject,

Very nice setup. I'm looking at doing something similar with a popup camper. I will definitely be using an aluminum flatbed.

powderproject

its not ideal the way it is.. I need to put a rail on each side of the camper that fasteners to the deck. I like the design of the 4wheel campers tie down system. Ill do something similar. This truck might be going into work service so I may be starting from scratch on a different truck.
I see the whole thing is maintained in place by the original tie down spot? Is this enough for some fire service road and corrugated roads? Any issues there?

I was thinking the same-ish setup but much much less luxiourious and lighter and the tie downs had me wondering...

bahncamperworks

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
Just for my own curiosity... Is it possible to buy an Earthroamer shell completely bare?
We sell our shells empty, with floor, interior wall paneling and hard mounting points cabinetry and components.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

sourdough

Adventurer
Tiger RV

IMG_1489.jpg
Fully self contained for a week off the grid. No worries. :ylsmoke: Used rigs sell pretty fast, cash talks.

Red Crow

I'm looking for something similar to live in full time. Still haven't decided between a van/ truck camper combo or?
If you don't mind me asking. What year is that and how much?

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
I had a 4wd Tiger RV on a Ford SD chassis, with 285/75/16 tires. In my opinion, the 4wd was only marginally needed because you're not realistically likely to get into situations that require 4wd with a vehicle of that size and more importantly, height. The height was always causing it to scrape on overhanging tree limbs on trails. The only time I needed 4wd was on snow, and I suppose, sand.

I agree with this!!

I've owned many built off road/expedition type rigs. My last rig was a 2016 Tundra + FWC. The biggest issue is bigness and weight! I wanted more luxury and absolutely love the Sprinter Chassis. So bought a Winnebago View (one that can run any diesel) with the intention of doing a 4WD conversion. Trouble is, I've driven it nearly 10k miles and the last trip was well over 200 miles off road and haven't needed 4WD. It's been in the snow, sand, dirt, gravel...

Realistically, you get something big and heavy 4WD is less needed. Mine is lifted (clearance), 31" Duratrac Tires (traction), On Board Air -- Good tires and deflating them works magic. Although, I'm looking into a divorced tcase for low range when crawling up hills. I've put the front tire a couple feet in the air... several times. Incredible how ridged the chassis is. I have no doubt I've ventured further off road than most Tiger and Earthroamer Rigs. Plus getting 16-18mpg fully loaded.

Traditional RVs are an excellent option if built with a welded (not wood) framing and fiberglass sections (especially roof). And they are a heck of a value when 5+ years old. There are a good number of quality manufactured rigs. Then add the 4WD or whatever you desire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles