Market for $80k complete truck and camper - mini earthroamer?

samuelashirley

Observer
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get some feelers on the 4x4 RV / Camper / Overlander market. The options seem quite limited right now if you are planning to spend between 80 and 150k on an adventure camper.

Option 1 - 100k range - 4x4 Sprinter Van by Winnebago or if you have the means to build it out yourself.
Option 2 - 220k range - Used Earthroamer or something similar.

I'm really curious if there is a market for an 80k - 120k dollar 4x4 RV / Camper / Mini earthroamer

In the last 5 years overlanding has exploded, from being something a couple hundred people did with an old jeep and a tent to having hundreds of companies jump in on the overlanding trend giving us some incredible gear. In my apartment (in Denver) there are 5 rooftop tents on vehicles ranging from a bone stock Rav4 to my modified 4runner, all owned by desk job working millennials. RTT's seem to be bought more and more by 20-30s age group. The outdoorsy millenials that are hitting the workforce and gradually climbing the ladder to afford nicer toys. A common trend among millennials is to buy experiences not things, which is why we like to travel so much. My wife and I, as well as a number of our friends are curious what vehicle we want for travel in the next 5 years. We love the raw, dispersed camping on the side of a mountain with the RTT and 4runner, but as we get older we want more comfort as well as the ability to maintain longer trips 'off the grid'. We have looked at building a 4x4 sprinter van, or tacoma with a RMFWC but i'm not entirely sold yet - especially as a bare bones 4x4 sprinter is 55k dollars, and i'm not the best crafstman.

I drove by the Earthroamer headquarters a few days ago and it got me thinking if there is a sustainable market, (small but sustainable) for 500k+ dollar off-road luxury vehicles - why isnt there a market for mini earthroamers? It seems most people buying Earthroamers are in their 50s + and have owned a few RV's / expedition vehicles. For normal RV's there seems to be a logical progression, at least from watching how my family did so. They started with a small class C, moved up as incomes increased to the point of eventually owning a 43 foot Tiffin. It seems logical to me, that there should be a way to work up to an Earthroamer.

With all that said -- How many of you would be interested in a smaller more economical earthroamer type adventure vehicle built on the new diesel F-150 or Ranger platform?

Jonnyo

Observer
I would love a f150 or f250-350 mini earthroamer but the problem is, even making it a smaller unit won't cut the cost that much so that unit would still need to sell for 250k + to be sustainable as a business. A class c in massive production sell for 60-100k..... imaginenonce you get in small specialized production.

So I just don't think price wise, a smaller unit would be much cheaper.

haven

Expedition Leader
The $80k-90k market ($50k for the truck, $40k for camper) is served by the slide in camper industry. You can get pop up or slide out models to meet your off-road vs roomy road mansion needs.

A camper for a flatbed truck offers more space. 4 Wheel Campers and Northstar offer flat bed campers for full size trucks.

Host is offering a larger camper for a medium duty flatbeds that's more like a "mini-Earthroamer." But I think the price range is above your target.

STREGA

Explorer
I'am in the process right now of doing what your describing basically. Have been running a FJ Cruiser with a RTT and other mods for the last 9 years, but at 61 years and counting the RTT has lost it's appeal for the wife and me. This set up has served us well but it's time for us to move on since are needs are changing. I'm actually at a credit union right now selling the FJ to it's new owner.

Got a 2016 Ram 1 ton 4x4 and having a custom built Bundutec flatbed camper that is being made for it now. Not quite a Earthroamer but should be in the $65-70k range when done, so yes there is a market for a poor mans Earthroamer.

tacoluv

Observer
Samualashirley,
This is a great post, so many have asked themselves the same questions. I have been researching and looking at vehicles and camping options to replace my Tacoma/Flippac. This overland build has enabled so many opportunities to experience North American travel adventures. I want convenience and comfort as we all do. At 73 years of age I require less physical struggle but my mind says keep doing it. We just returned from a trip to the Rockies and camped at 11K elevation with bears - I have never seen extreme vehicles (Earthroamers , etc) of value in the outer fringes of safety. People write wonderful adventure stories, but just get to the outback and see who the adventurous really are. If you want comfort, just go for it and be comfortable. There are some really great vehicles/camper options. My choice would be a Ram Diesel with XP Camper, but then I would worry about getting the pretty thing dirty.

samuelashirley

Observer
Thats a valid point, but im not planning to build out as fancy as a 120k dollar class C.

The beginning thought would be a base model 30k dollar Ranger Diesel + suspension, front bumper, lights, recovey, stuff etc (10000) = 40000
Camper similar to rockymountain camper, but made of a one piece composite so that its more aero and easier to paint match = 15000 (empty RMFWC flatbed is 11000)
Build out of camper (15000) fridge, stove, mattress, solar, batteries, inverter, water tank, water pumps

Puts me right around 70k

The EarthRoamer is expensive for two reasons 1. It has no competitors. Yes there are unimogs, but there are no other companies that you can go to to design with high quality materials, have built and delivered to your door a customer 4x4 luxury camper. 2. The compnents inside are truly luxurious, there is nothing economy about an earth roamer.

samuelashirley

Observer
Another main point is how easy it is to have an earth roamer. If you have the money you can go, design it with them, they build it and you are ready to explore. Most people don't want to go through the process of finding a truck, having a flatbed built, finding a camper that will fit and then building it out. While I love those things, not everyone does.

I'm trying to hit (make) the turn key 4x4 adventure truck market.

The Artisan

Adventurer
The compnents inside are truly luxurious, there is nothing economy about an earth roamer.
True but lets say 60k for the 550 with bed etc. Say even 30k to build the shell without interior build. So I have 200k for profit and interior build, including electronics, lights etc. I could put the best materials in a small space and still make a pretty good profit even with labor. That's their start price. Their top tier is close to half Mil. I have saw it at expo East, nice but not top notch materials, they did not even use real Alcantara or Spinneybeck leathers on their seating.
Kevin

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
It is possible to build a modern, lighweight expedition worthy truck for under $150.000 Our customers do it all the time. But you are right, not everyone has the space and resources to built one from scratch. Biggest obsticle for most is finding the right chassis, subframe and camper box. Outfitting it is a lot easier than the rest and can be done in stages.
If you come up with a standard truck/camper design, offer it with an empty shell but with windows and doors I guarantee you that you will do very well!

samuelashirley

Observer
True but lets say 60k for the 550 with bed etc. Say even 30k to build the shell without interior build. So I have 200k for profit and interior build, including electronics, lights etc. I could put the best materials in a small space and still make a pretty good profit even with labor. That's their start price. Their top tier is close to half Mil. I have saw it at expo East, nice but not top notch materials, they did not even use real Alcantara or Spinneybeck leathers on their seating.
Kevin

Oh those 550 lariats are in the 70-80 range, then fox all around on 41in tires, enough solar power and batteries to self sustain. Those things are overkill in every way - I also don’t doubt they have large profits. Supply and demand with no competitors means you can have 30% margins

I’m just thinking there is a market for a turn key 100k 4x4 adventure camper - with enough funding it’s absolutely possible. I just wish I could use a Tacoma instead of ranger but Tacoma’s need more power to carry an extra 2k pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Artisan

Adventurer
If you come up with a standard truck/camper design, offer it with an empty shell but with windows and doors I guarantee you that you will do very well!
That's what my market will be custom pods with mounting points for flatbeds. Outbound doors and windows or can send it to you completely sealed you do cut outs and source the products.
You can leave it by your house you can mount it and go camping that's up to you. Micro homes on the move, or not.
Kevin

The Artisan

Adventurer
Oh those 550 lariats are in the 70-80 range, then fox all around on 41in tires, enough solar power and batteries to self sustain. Those things are overkill in every way - I also don't doubt they have large profits. Supply and demand with no competitors means you can have 30% margins

I'm just thinking there is a market for a turn key 100k 4x4 adventure camper - with enough funding it's absolutely possible. I just wish I could use a Tacoma instead of ranger but Tacoma's need more power to carry an extra 2k pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will be getting a used Taco down the road and will be creating a camper like a URO. Should be in the 500lb range empty. Look at my pod once I spray the Poly on it it will be around 1600 lbs completed.
Kevin

java

Expedition Leader
I saw a few of these up in BC. They are around 120k Canadian. Not real "off road" but 4x4 and RV comforts.

main.jpg

http://www.usandcanadatravel.com/mo...specifications/29ft_adventurer_4_deluxe.shtml

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles