Rack opinions

Munky

I have been reading various rack options and cant seem to find some of the answers I am looning for so thought I would ask.

I am looking for a rack for my lr4, and have some specific criteria: 1. I have a yakima skybox i use on occasion and would like the rack to be compatible. 2. Needs to be RTT compatible. Does anyone know which racks have load bars which may accomodate? Prospeed does not look to have clearance for a box. I am not a fan of the voyager due to lack of floor, but looks to accommodate a box or tent when needed. Baja looks good, but i have a full rail, and it appears i would need to purchase short rails to make theirs work?

Besides the box and tent i plan on mounting maxtrax, possibly jerry cans and a few other accessories. I really like the voyager style, but the floor is a concern and i really dont want to fab anything.

Would love your input.

Thanks

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
Front Runner makes a rack for the LR4 as they do the 3. https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...w-table-opening-front-runner-slimline-ii.html
It will support a RTT and more. Not sure how big your box is but mounting the tent forward leaves boom to mount the Maxtrax and possibly solar and your box.
FR now has quick disconnect mounting for RTT. Makes it easier to remove for other uses.
You may want the full rack and not the 3/4 size.
I have the FR rack and there is a lot of real estate up there, friend of mine mounts his RTT and more up there. Of course he does not have a garage to contend with to deal with clearance issues.

Munky

Thanks for the input. How is wind noise with the FR rack? my sky box would not fit with rtt, and i would not use them simultaneously. my question is wheter or not it would mount on the Fr platform.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I found that my FR rack had a bit of a whistle above 45 mph so I made a wind deflector for it and all is fine. Some don't have the issue, guess I was just that one guy.

A.J.M

Explorer
Do you have pictures of the deflector?

I have a full length slimline 2 on my 3. Great rack, strong and anything can get attached to it as long as you have a M8 bolt to fit in the T slot grooves.

My only complaint is the rails and rack corners on mine started to rust very quickly, I got them replaced at 3 months old under warranty and I've painted the new bits in Raptor coating to protect them.

Prospeed is a good rack, but again, needs Raptor coating as the stock powder coating doesn't last.
Their ladder is great as well, I love mine but have had to get it off the car, stripped, dipped and redone as it also was suffering from rust.

Scottish climate seems to kill off things.

Ray_G

Explorer
Maybe I'm being obtuse but what do you mean about the prospeed not having clearance? While it isn't as user friendly for accessories as a front runner (have had both) doing things with it isn't that hard, just some Home Depot level fabrication to tie in with the proliferation of M8 threaded holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vfly172

Observer
The prospeed can do all that. They sell accessories, you can find the options on their site. Call lucky 8. They can order the mounts.

Munky

Maybe I'm being obtuse but what do you mean about the prospeed not having clearance? While it isn't as user friendly for accessories as a front runner (have had both) doing things with it isn't that hard, just some Home Depot level fabrication to tie in with the proliferation of M8 threaded holes.

Looking at pics of the prospeed, the cross bars do not seem to have very much clearance between the bar and the rack. my skybox has a clamp which is fairly bulky and will need a couple inches of clearance to get under and clamp on.

Ray_G

Explorer
Looking at pics of the prospeed, the cross bars do not seem to have very much clearance between the bar and the rack. my skybox has a clamp which is fairly bulky and will need a couple inches of clearance to get under and clamp on.

There is very little clearance between the rack and the truck if that's what you mean-it's what makes it so elegant for the platform. As far as the clamp on the skybox, can't speak to that but to say that I'd prob modify the box to make it sit tight too.
R-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles