Trailer Hitch Hammock Mount

McLean

Hi all! Chris here. I haven’t posted here but have visited many times researching products, projects and solutions. I've always had a passion for vehicles, adventures, and adventures in vehicles and this forum has been a great resource for all the above.

I recently attended the Overland Expo West and NW Overland Rally (both awesome events!) with a product that I have been developing for many years. The feedback I received was phenomenal and many of the folks that I talked to encouraged me to come over here and share it with the community.

I would love to hear your feedback or questions! Thanks!

Here are some of the features:
-Designed for proper geometry of hammock hang
-Easy access for entry/exit from hammock
-Quick Setup and stow operation- less than 20 seconds
-Compact package when stowed- Under 27" when collapsed
-Can stay in hitch when not in use, even during rough terrain travel
-300 lb weight limit
-Complete assembly weighs 46 lbs

1sRxRchl.jpg

ARkaEa9l.jpg

kuxWAkjl.jpg

66Aqfj1l.jpg

-Chris

tlin

Adventurer
Dig it - been waiting for something like these for a couple years. Aluminum version possible?

McLean

Thanks all!

Dig it - been waiting for something like these for a couple years. Aluminum version possible?

Thanks! One of my early prototypes was mostly aluminum but I was unable to get the strength required without a higher strength alloy or much thicker material. Either way would be $$$. I am always looking for improvements but I don't foresee Al being cost effective for this.

-Chris

NikonRon

Adventurer
The problem for me is that it blocks access to the back of the vehicle, I have a Four Wheel camper. Maybe something that could mount to sliders on the side of a rig. Ron

McLean

The problem for me is that it blocks access to the back of the vehicle, I have a Four Wheel camper. Maybe something that could mount to sliders on the side of a rig. Ron

Totally understood. When stowed it is usually out of the way enough to still access most rear hatches and tailgates, but absolutely can be an inconvenience when deployed. It would be very easy to unclip one side of the hammock to gain access although not ideal. I have a front hitch on that green Dodge that gets used far more for the Hammock than the rear. It's so much more convenient. It wouldn't be too hard to come up with a simple bracket that could hook onto a slider. Also, I am developing a tire mount that you can drive over and have a receiver at any of your wheel locations.

tbird911

How large a hammock (length) will it handle. Most serious hammock guys (the guys that don't Eno Bro') have hammocks from outfitters and cottage industry builders that are 10, 11 and even 12 feet in length.

McLean

How large a hammock (length) will it handle. Most serious hammock guys (the guys that don't Eno Bro') have hammocks from outfitters and cottage industry builders that are 10, 11 and even 12 feet in length.

Haha. "Eno Bro". I haven't heard that before but I like it!

It is designed around the 9.5 ft hammocks. You could likely make a 10' Hammock work if you got creative with the Hammock ends. I wish that we could easily adapt this to the larger cottage industry hammocks, but there would be a significant compromise on size and weight.

McLean

The tire-based solution is nice!

One thing that instantly stands out as a problem is the 300lb weight limit. That's fine for one person, but any just about couple that wants to cozy up in a two-person hammock will be over that limit.

Thank you!

The 300 lb weight limit is our rating which includes a safety factor. They have been tested far beyond that and even surpassed the rating if most hammocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles